Thoughts on Gettysburg

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Zeke
Reactions:

Thoughts on Gettysburg

Post by Zeke »

First of all guys my congrats on the work so far looks fantastic.... and I'm really pleased that you went for Gettysburg - I just wondered on the thought processes of your decision i.e this battle over say Shiloh or Antietam ect.

Were other battles debated? I suspect they were - personally from a commercial and gaming point of view you guys have gone for a real winner.

2009 is going to be a good year who cares about the credit crunch!!!!!
Last edited by Zeke on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
Vonviper
Reactions:

Re:Thoughts on Gettysburg

Post by Vonviper »

Indeed Zeke
this car is firing on all 8
i've never heard yet as to why it was picked, i came on board a tad bit after those things were ironed out,but i've modded TC2M for some time before interviewing for the sound position and what i do know is this..
everybody on this team are gamers first then are game makers which in my book makes all the differents.
Getty makes since its the most famous of all civil war battles, its versatile with days of huge battles and just flat out fun to play
now Shiloh or Antietam would better fit TC2M as a follow up
but MMG is gone the game may still live on through a great group of modders and up and coming ones. hell if SSI panzer general can still draw a modding community i'm sure TC2M has many more yrs to go..
i think thats one reason why the NSD team will be throwing everything at you but the kitchen sink..
Norb has done some special stuff with the game coding, MP, etc...
this new game will really be something when its done..

remember NSD has just begun
Norb hasn't been secret as to what he invisions
new games, different genres, etc..
Two turn tables and a micro-phone
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Voniper;

What would be a good follow up to Gettysburg, if Shiloh is not visited? Or would the Forum be the source of which way the next game (battle/campain) development might go? personally, I like the multiday day carryovers and what ifs'. Just trying to see past Gettysburg for the next bone to chew on.

Thanks, Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

After I started NSD, my first designer was Wrangler. After the huge amount of work he did writing all those scenarios for TC2M, I felt that he deserved the job. We were going to do Waterloo first, as that is what he really enjoyed. I had offered to stay away from ACW in one of my many attempts to keep MMG alive, the other half of MMG claimed they were working on an expansion. When it because obvious that the expansion was never going to happen, We decided that we should switch and do Getty because that's where we had our most experience. Since we were rewriting everything, doing ACW would allow us to bring a product to market the fastest. We were all still hot on ACW and we would not have to relearn Nappy stuff to create the game.

Not that exciting, but that's how I remember it.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Norb

If you happen to do Waterloo, perhaps Quattra Bras also! Always wanted to play that scenerio, (Where's Gouchy?) always wondered why he didn't show up? or What effect he would of had on the Waterloo attack/retreat.

Thanks, Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I think Gettysburg was the perfect choice. I remember seeing the first screen shots, and folks started making comments like "hey, that looks awfully familiar" etc.. I kept thinking "please let it be Gettysburg.. please..".. It was the greatest battle of the Civil War and really in a league of it's own. And like Vonviper said, the battles are just fun to play; Little Round Top, Pickett's Charge, etc.. :)
Last edited by Little Powell on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Little Powell wrote:
I think Gettysburg was the perfect choice. I remember seeing the first screen shots, and folks started making comments like "hey, that looks awfully familiar" etc.. I kept thinking "please let it be Gettysburg.. please..".. It was the greatest battle of the Civil War and really in a league of it's own. And like Vonviper said, the battles are just fun to play; Little Round Top, Pickett's Charge, etc.. :)
It's really the only way to get your game out to the masses. People that are not history buffs, only know of Gettysburg. So having that name on the game just generates natural interest.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Norb,

I think you made the right decision. Gettysburg will catch the eye of the more casual gamer more quickly than any other ACW battle. That should push sales more right out of the gate. TC2M was the best ACW simulator hands down, but 2nd Manassas is not a battle that the public at large is readily familiar with. Not necessarily an eye catcher. Word of mouth really pushed your last game as the engine was so good and the maps were great. If it wasn't for an employee of mine reading Game Informer or some such magazine and saying that I should get this game as it was rated so high, I'd still be playing Sid's games.

If you want to make a buck, I think you have to go with what is most familiar. Once you hook them with the great game play, then you can go in what ever direction you want.

Greg
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Guys thanks for your replys, so looking forward to seeing the end result of Gettyburg, I have a feeling we could be looking a the finest civil war game ever. It's great to see a small group of dedicated (and talented)guys socking it to the big developers on the block.

- but I have to admit I would love to see your creation with european spin Waterloo Austerlitz,Borodino,Vitoria just imagine...Please don't say you will never consider it especially when a certain game is released later this month (no names mentioned)which is so going to suck big time,you just know it. http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/medi ... eaf519.jpg[/img_size]
Last edited by Zeke on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Yep, i agree, Gbug is just about the best choice!
Its readily recognizable by most of the public as already mentioned.
Its a three day battle and more if the action around Lee's retreat is included.
Its a 'what-if' military strateticians wet dream.
It involved large artillery and some notable cavalry action.
It involved bold assaults.
It involved large numbers of troops
It involved many separate battles; Culps Hill, Devil's Den, Wheatfield, etc.
It had the Rebs initially carrying the battle only to end up retreating.
So on and so on!

Antietam and maybe Grant's final march into Virginia could be a close second especially as far as the drama is concerned, but i'll bet most of the public never heard of the seige of Petersburg, the bloody lane, Cold Harbor, Burnside's bridge, etc.