Public Perseptions of the GCM

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Baldwin
Reactions:

Re: Public Perseptions of the GCM

Post by Baldwin »

@Soldier

GCM has nothing to do with skill. I am undefeated as div commander in CoC style both in Shenandoah and Kriegspiel club vs matches when I have the final say on tactics for my division. I am the tourney champ or have you forgotten that too? You (Soldier) can only win with more experienced troops from what I've seen.

GCM is all about the more you play the more experienced your troops and the higher the amount you get. Look at your Union division Soldier- way more experience in your troops and guns than the average player. How are newcomers or people that don't play every night supposed to have better divisions than you? I don't think attendance makes you a more skilled general, but you keep telling yourself it does.

Some people prefer brigade command over division as well, that doesn't make them any better or worse than a good division commander. I honestly prefer brigade level, but step up to division when it is asked of me.
Last edited by Baldwin on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Likely best to move this thread to "Rant and Rave"?
I blame myself :pinch: for replying to it in the first place but no need to let it fly off topic and get out of hand.
I think horses for courses will see their own way to it once its moved.
Just a thought.
I agree. Digby can't resist bashing the GCM at every opportunity. I should just let it go, but it's hard.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

There is no need for this to go to R&R.

I have all respect for the HITS guys. I like them all. We just have a few disagreements. This post was never directed at them, though I can see that there might be some relevancy as they might perceive it.

We all have opportunities to play the game as we wish. For some this is not GCM. Personally, I would like to see Saddletank back to play a few here and there, but I'm positive that he will not.

Some players play it as purely a game, this is true. GCM is open to everyone. There are many players who push and get historical play. To be strictly historical would be exclusive.

I do not understand RebBuglers position. He played one GCM game over a year ago and will criticize it to this day from that one experience. If he wants to bash it that is fine, but shouldn't he download the most current version and try it out? Then he could bash away with some legitimacy.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

@Soldier

GCM has nothing to do with skill. I am undefeated as div commander in CoC style both in Shenandoah and Kriegspiel club vs matches when I have the final say on tactics for my division. I am the tourney champ or have you forgotten that too? You (Soldier) can only win with more experienced troops from what I've seen.

GCM is all about the more you play the more experienced your troops and the higher the amount you get. Look at your Union division Soldier- way more experience in your troops and guns than the average player. How are newcomers or people that don't play every night supposed to have better divisions than you? I don't think attendance makes you a more skilled general, but you keep telling yourself it does.

Some people prefer brigade command over division as well, that doesn't make them any better or worse than a good division commander. I honestly prefer brigade level, but step up to division when it is asked of me.
I was just joking with you Baldwin -- you're a fine player. And I agree about the GCM -- playing rewards you with better troops -- but only because Garnier allows deactivating regiments. I've been trying to convince him to only allow brigades to be excluded. That would force experienced players to bring their less experienced troops to battle.

But it's certainly not just me. . . look at MJP, Barlow, Sharp, Jonah or any of the guys who play regularly. But it's also true that the GCM is much more balanced for new players than it used to be.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

@ Soldier

Yeah I shouldn't bash you either, I've never had an easy fight against you that's for sure. I've looked at a system that would be like a HITS GCM hybrid but I think it would find a narrower audience then either of the two main groups, so best not to divide the community further. Harmon was looking at that too and probably realized the same thing.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Yeah. . . the only person trying to divide the community is Digby. Everyone (except Seal, and he doesn't count) in the GCM supports the efforts of the Hits and Couriers group.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah Reb, the GCM has certainly changed a lot. Canister is more effective now, especially late in battles, because of the severe penalty on fatigued troops. Exhausted troops are basically useless now in GCM games and weary troops aren't much better -- neither can hit anything.

The 250 yard rifles were used because they were the only option at one point: it was 250 or 160.

I'd support going to 200, but Garnier has yet to be convinced into giving it a try.
I misunderstood, musket range is still 250 yards...egad :woohoo: How can canister be more effective if you can't ever get close enough to use it?

You guys must hide your batteries until the enemy is exhausted :P , that's the only way I can see that they could help at all. :side: Still, you've got a solid and proud group, and good for SOW...Do your thing guys. :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

No. . . when you played, there were two choices 250 or 160. Soon after, Garnier modded it to 220, where it still is. I'd like to take it to 200.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Yeah Reb, the GCM has certainly changed a lot. Canister is more effective now, especially late in battles, because of the severe penalty on fatigued troops. Exhausted troops are basically useless now in GCM games and weary troops aren't much better -- neither can hit anything.

The 250 yard rifles were used because they were the only option at one point: it was 250 or 160.

I'd support going to 200, but Garnier has yet to be convinced into giving it a try.
I misunderstood, musket range is still 250 yards...egad :woohoo: How can canister be more effective if you can't ever get close enough to use it?

You guys must hide your batteries until the enemy is exhausted :P , that's the only way I can see that they could help at all. :side: Still, you've got a solid and proud group, and good for SOW...Do your thing guys. :)
If you would actually download the current GCM you would know that rifles are at 220 yards. Then you could bash rifles at 220 rather than 250.

Some players push their guns up to the front lines and Garnier uses 220 yard rifles to keep them off the line. It is a reality that we must play with. Very few players use this tactic, but it would explode in its use. This is why we need counter battery fire or some means to keep things in line.

200 would be better than 220.

Just admit that you hate me RebBugler and we can get past this. :)
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

2) Those who play GCM are just as concerned about history as everyone else.
But this isn't true. And because it isn't true is why GCM now is like it is.

Well this is where we are. There are too many players to have gentlemen's rules and therefore must mod all we can to make it more historical. After that, players play. When more is opened to modding I am sure further improvements will be made, until then our only option is to play with how the game is designed.

Even now it is fun and challenging. Norb has made a great game.