Public Perseptions of the GCM

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Public Perseptions of the GCM

Post by RebBugler »

Just admit that you hate me RebBugler and we can get past this.
I'm hoping you just forgot to add the smiley face at the end, surely you can't be serious. :unsure:

Edit: Alright, ya added the smiley face, NOW we can get past this...Thank You Sir :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

It's usually fruitless to have a gameplay discussion between people who don't play the game the same way. SOW is a good platform for several kinds of gameplay. Even if we are disgusted with the way others use the game, we're all on the same side in the sense that we all are playing SOW and want it to be better.
Last edited by Garnier on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Others had already made those points.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

From my experience if you leave your lower experienced troops activated GCM will often bring them over the more experienced troops to allow them to gain experience its just that as soldier stated we can deactivate regiments allowing players to only bring their very best. Personally i let GCM roll and have all regiments with over 400 men join the battle if they can.
MajorByrd
Reactions:

Post by MajorByrd »

I like the idea of canister = 200yrds and rifles = 195

Canister would be able to hit and so would rifles. Accuracy should, in both cases, be limited. Whether or not guns could fire canister 600yards or not doesn't say a thing about the actual accuracy. Just because you can fire a rifle at 300 yards doesn't mean you're ever going to hit anything either. Canister should enable a battery to defend itself against infantry but, I agree, it's not gonna work until troops (including guns) stop firing through each other.

I always thought TC2M did a nice job just blocking the fire if a part of another unit (including guns) was in it's line of sight but since this ain't TC2M there's probably a reason which I don't understand why its different now.
Last edited by MajorByrd on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

2) Those who play GCM are just as concerned about history as everyone else.
But this isn't true. And because it isn't true is why GCM now is like it is.
Well this is where we are. There are too many players to have gentlemen's rules and therefore must mod all we can to make it more historical. After that, players play. When more is opened to modding I am sure further improvements will be made, until then our only option is to play with how the game is designed.
Well... you need to question who it is that you choose to wargame with. That is what I did and that is why I left the GCM group - because they were refusing to approach the game realistically and historically and kept moving the goalposts to stop the gamey exploitative tactics. The result was a game that I thought was both weaker than the vanilla game and I had to put up with obnoxious people while playing it. At that point I knew I was wasting my time.
Yeah... the only person trying to divide the community is Digby.
Oh? Would you care to share your evidence with us? If not, please withdraw that untrue comment.
Last edited by Saddletank on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

The thing you have to be aware of and i am sure a highly skilled player in hits could use those same gamey tactics to great effect alls he has to do is mass his troops close together issue the order from very close range and send the assault you would never be able to counter it quickly enough in my opinion but then i do not play hits but prefer the GCM.
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

That and the simple insolence and rudeness of certain GCM PLAYERS is why I no longer go there. I am amazed certain people were not banned from that group long before I joined it and became the target of their insults.

Why would you use the plural there if not to convey that multiple people were rude and insolent?

I know I never had a cross word with you on ts. The only person who was rude and/or insolent was Seal, at least whom I heard. Yet you often refer to multiple people in the GCM who are rude and/or insolent. And you often refer to "certain people" who should have been banned long ago. My opinion is that you're obfuscating the facts by using the plural in order to make the GCM look bad.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Jonah wrote:
The thing you have to be aware of and i am sure a highly skilled player in hits could use those same gamey tactics to great effect alls he has to do is mass his troops close together issue the order from very close range and send the assault you would never be able to counter it quickly enough in my opinion but then i do not play hits but prefer the GCM.
Those sorts of things never happen. The HITS group use house rules to prohibit such actions. The players in that group are primarily interested in gaining, as best as they can, a 19th century battle experience. Winning at all costs doesn't factor into the mix.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
tigger
Reactions:

Post by tigger »

This topic certainly is interesting to see so many opinions, but a few things seem to be left out. First for those that play the HITS game for a better historical type game, there will never be any amount of changes made to make the game truly 100% historically accurate. They will never be able to create the extreme heat on those days fought to help exhaust your troops.

When you think about the nuances of all the parts of this game, fixing one portion will hinder another and vice versa, but how many of us pay for the online multiplayer games or the GCM site, yes you can donate money but for the most part it is a free service.

How much time and effort and money must be spent to make one single request? Then multiply that by the many requests and the changing of code that must be tested to see if it worked or how it altered the previous state. In other words they can not offord to change everything that everyone wants.
The Old War Horse
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

Jonah wrote:
Those sorts of things never happen. The HITS group use house rules to prohibit such actions. The players in that group are primarily interested in gaining, as best as they can, a 19th century battle experience. Winning at all costs doesn't factor into the mix.
It just shows how long this argument has rolled on i was being hypothetical. When was the last time you played a GCM battle MTG not as long as i have been there I have not seen you once same as Digby he cannot comment on how the game is played over there now as he no longer plays it he still talks about his experiences from 8 months ago and continues to belittle what we have and enjoy at every opportunity.

Ultimately we like it that way and you like it your way that will never change as long as players like Digby continues to belittle our community at every chance. Some of our guys play Hits on a regular basis but i rarely see a regular hits player in GCM to even try it.
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.