Public Perseptions of the GCM

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Re: Public Perseptions of the GCM

Post by NY Cavalry »

Column charging is a thing of the past. It has been modded out of existence. You can still charge your entire division, but the results are much different now.
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

I don't belittle what you have now, I comment on my experiences from February which is when I last played. The GCM at that point was not producing a satisfactory gaming experience for me and so I moved on. I also know the GCM now is not offering a satisfactory gaming experience for me because you don't have your command distance set to 2m, you stack units thickly on top of each other in order to win, you have telepathic regiments who know what their general wants them to do the instant he thinks up something, every general has a cell phone, your musket range is unrealistically long vs canister range, the general content and process of the games is also not historial (random objectives) and your ranking board tends people towards over-competitiveness. The whole set up is not what I want from SoW MP play. Why on earth would I want to go and play a game I know does not interest me? End of discussion.
Really maybe i should troll every comment of yours talking down your nose at those who play GCM particularly those you dislike am i one now.

Maybe i should enlighten you to what setting i run as host!

1) view distance is set at 170yards from the saddle i know this is not hits at 2m but it is better than the unlimited we were playing February. Personally i would like to reduce this distance more but the regular influx of new players it allows them not to be completely swamped by the speed of the games we play.
2) We generally do not have 4 hours to experience a hits style of game and prefer shorter faster paced games so the timer is set for anything from 70 - 90 mins when you factor in lag and 14 players this can easily turn into 3-4 hours.
3) We prefer to play real people not knowing what your opponents going to do really is quite engrossing.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

In terms of the original topic, public perseptions of GCM, I would like to say one thing:

GCM is more like war than playing against the AI. I'm not slighting the HITS group or SP, but playing against other human players, who evolve, unlike the AI, is probably one of the most challenging tasks SOW offers. You fight a battle, get beaten, change your tactics, then beat someone else next time. It is like you are playing against another Civil War general, one who has a personality and improves the same as you. One could even argue that GCM portrays Civil War combat almost infinitely historically, because over time, tactics changed (who knows, if the war went long enough, maybe a General Stonewall Seal would have implemented a column charge, then been shipped off to North Dakota for failing).

At GCM, we don't fight the same battles again and again, and neither did generals in the Civil War. So for all those bystanders who are perhaps reading this topic (scratching their heads and perhaps wondering about the sanity of all of us), this evolution is what I believe characterizes GCM. We are a competitive, inclusive, multiplayer group who are merely always on the lookout for the next gigantic game to fight, share stories about, and then shake the hands of our opponents in good nature.
Last edited by Hancock the Superb on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

Now your attacking HITS. We play 2 hour games on average and play against real people. I've never played a 4 hour HITS game with the group to this date. And we actually have less lag, so that's a bonus I'd say.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Baldwin,

Cut the guy some slack. Just tell him where he is wrong and I'm sure he will correct it. His post is not malicious. He means no offense.
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

In terms of the original topic, public perseptions of GCM, I would like to say one thing:

GCM is more like war than playing against the AI. I'm not slighting the HITS group or SP, but playing against other human players, who evolve, unlike the AI, is probably one of the most challenging tasks SOW offers. You fight a battle, get beaten, change your tactics, then beat someone else next time. It is like you are playing against another Civil War general, one who has a personality and improves the same as you. One could even argue that GCM portrays Civil War combat almost infinitely historically, because over time, tactics changed (who knows, if the war went long enough, maybe a General Stonewall Seal would have implemented a column charge, then been shipped off to North Dakota for failing).

At GCM, we don't fight the same battles again and again, and neither did generals in the Civil War. So for all those bystanders who are perhaps reading this topic (scratching their heads and perhaps wondering about the sanity of all of us), this evolution is what I believe characterizes GCM. We are a competitive, inclusive, multiplayer group who are merely always on the lookout for the next gigantic game to fight, share stories about, and then shake the hands of our opponents in good nature.
well,you got one bystander here wondering!
any passing curiosity i may have had about mp in this game is definatly outweighed by (and i admit to not really knowing whats occured here!)by sensible people scrapping over a game!

i spend my working nights throwing mouthy idiots out of nightclubs,so the thought of getting grief while playing something meant to relax me? no thanks,i think i'll stick to sp where the only one calling me a twit for my many (oh,so many) mistakes is me! cheers
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

well,you got one bystander here wondering!
any passing curiosity i may have had about mp in this game is definatly outweighed by (and i admit to not really knowing whats occured here!)by sensible people scrapping over a game!

i spend my working nights throwing mouthy idiots out of nightclubs,so the thought of getting grief while playing something meant to relax me? no thanks,i think i'll stick to sp where the only one calling me a twit for my many (oh,so many) mistakes is me! cheers
@Redcoat

I think you would be surprised as to what banter and getting your ear bent for being in the wrong place on the map when needed else where, does for you knowledge and the experience that MP offers? I am sure your level of single player experience would do well and actually enjoy the mp game immensely.

@Baldwin OK maybe 4hrs is a bit much and as you have indicated 2hrs is the norm ty.
DO you play 16 player games against each? other none that i have ever seen when you have played 16 or even 11 v 11 in Hits then come back and tell me about the lag you had
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Post by kg_sspoom »

I Play both and enjoy both for their own high points.
GCM is (IMHO) the best way for a new player to get into SOW MP.
While you will undoubtedly get your ass handed to you a few times
early (we all did when new) there will be players coaching you
through what to do and how/when to do it. When the battle is over we all (mostly)
break down what happened and thoughts as to why. GCM is competitive but everyone knows
that it is a team win/loss so it is in the groups best interest to HELP the new guys.
Lots of near clueless players have joined and really become solid players in short time.
The settings in GCM NEED to be as loose (100 + camera view, no couriers/walkie talkie mode)
because the game is just too difficult for new players to become competent in that we cant
put them " in the saddle" and expect them to come back when they lost their brigade on a road march and cant even find them(hell this almost happened to me the 1st time I played hits).

GCM is the way to go if you are in it to learn or just have a fun "epic" battle.
Hits is tthe way to go for a acomplished player who wants more of the feel of command.

There is nothing wrong with either group except for some big egos.
(And dont anyone get excited about the ego thing its not directed at anyone in particular as there have been many)

One of GCMs best strength is the fact that the teams are ALWAYS random and there is never any team stacking.