Sketches of Spain

2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Sketches of Spain

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

Not the great Miles Davis' record but pics of Spain 1811 or so. I didn't want to hi-jack Gunship's thread. I am from the illustrious State of Texas and not Europe, but I am trying to help Crikey and do justice for the Nappy Comunity. Here are some pics or sketches of Spain. Nothing at all revealing to Crikey's project, but just some pics of terrain I am working on. Suggestions welcome by my friends across the pond, 19th Century European historians,..and Jack O'.
-2nd_TX & Crikey Productions
At the Guns
Take the hill
Take the guns
Into the fray
Prepare for the rout
Hand to hand (street fighting man)
Grog
Reactions:

Re: Sketches of Spain

Post by Grog »

Fantastic work and great screen shots. The earlier uniforms of the Brits really show off well on this authentic looking terrain.

I've had several holidays in Spain and Portugal and remember such scenes (although the street brawls in Ibiza were of a more modern look, certainly more flying beer glasses!) Brit lager louts, don't you just love 'em?

The white washed buildings wouldn't look amiss in Belgium, me thinks. What would the chances be to have Nap versions of the stock maps but with the buildings replaced with these?

A lot of work I expect but with the excellent Nap Terrain mod I think it would work for the 100 days campaign.

Thanks Fellas
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Freakin' Awesome!!

They remind me of the maps from Gexozoids "Masters of the Field" Napoleonic Mod. He did a number of Spanish maps and the buildings look very similar. Ah yes, fought many a battle on those back then. The Mod was for the American Conquest series, the Fight Back version, I think.

Jack B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Fantastic work and great screen shots. The earlier uniforms of the Brits really show off well on this authentic looking terrain.

I've had several holidays in Spain and Portugal and remember such scenes (although the street brawls in Ibiza were of a more modern look, certainly more flying beer glasses!) Brit lager louts, don't you just love 'em?

The white washed buildings wouldn't look amiss in Belgium, me thinks. What would the chances be to have Nap versions of the stock maps but with the buildings replaced with these?

A lot of work I expect but with the excellent Nap Terrain mod I think it would work for the 100 days campaign.

Thanks Fellas
I think we should just move forward to better specific maps rather than fixing up an existing map we have memorized. Crikey is putting this together, but in the near future I think we may do Jena, Austerlitz, or Borodino. And if not those because of specific 3d objects, a conjectural map with those battles terrain attributes. I really like the Jena campaign and terrain..but Borodino would be easy because of the lack of high profile objects that would need to be replicated. Regardless, it will be a step in the right direction and really open up some great opportunities for the Nappy Community.
Thanks for the compliments my friend.
-2nd_TX
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Nice, Nice, Nice!
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Super images ....but.

The buildings look more present-day Costa del Sol than 1812 Spain.

One of the ongoing themes throughout the Peninsular war were the comments by British observers of the impoverished state of Spain. The filthiness and raggedness of the peasants, the wretched condition of the cottages, farm buildings, farm transport and farm animals.

To be authentic, I think you need some tiles missing from the roof, tumbledown walls, missing windows and a thick layer or dirt and cow-dung over everything.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Those are some fantastic pics! well done. You've really done the sprites proud there. I like the buidlings. The ground and wheat, and oliver trees reaaly go well togehter. I think there must have been a orhcard on every battle field :). Terrain also looks good, lots of highs and lows and quick rolling terrain. Picture of the guns in the field and "into the fray" looks very cool B) . Well done.

Ive alsways wanted to sprite up the full Borodino OOB, thats alot of work though on the French side but if you made Borodino I would make the Russian sprites.

Any thoughts on map scaling? In the Peninsular most battalions were way down on their theorectical numbers, mostly around 500 men. This works for the current SoW map scaling. In the larger european battles units were more up to strength say 700-800 so they start to occupy much less space on the field then they should have done. Therefore i was wondering for a battle like Borodino or Jena if you had any thoughts of tweaking the map scaling so you get more terrain in the same map size and large units would start to occpy the right amount of space?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Brilliant images. I commented in Gunships thread on Spanish and Portugese landscapes. The walled olive and citrus groves, even high up on steep hillsides seem common, even today.

Wooodlands often tend to be of the pinetree/evergreen variety as these types are adapted to the extreme heat and do not suffer burned leaves as the deciduous, broad-leafed trees do.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Gunship,
If we were to make Borodino or Jena it would probably be made up of a couple or more 5mi maps to correctly cover the entire battlefield, However, since these are well known battles with well known structures, we might continue to make fictional maps based upon these types of terrain and loosely based on them. We will see, after Crikey finishes his Fictional Spainish map. Both myself and Crikey are proficient at retexturing objects, but I do not have the software to create all new 3d wire frames.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

What a great shame that 2nd T never got to continue work on this. I miss him and his work for so many reasons.

NSD guys - was all of this on his personal computer or did he share any of it with you?

To have some buildings that are more European in style would be a big bonus for the Napoleonic modding community.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.