Thoughts on MP

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re:Thoughts on MP

Post by JC Edwards »

Zoonp wrote:
Well, I personally think the courier system in MP is a bad idea because a team that uses a voice program like Teamspeak will have a huge advantage against a team that uses the slow moving couriers. It would be much fairer if you would get the courier messages instantly.
Well Zoonp, let's hope we don't have too many "cheaters" like that. I personally would rather have the courier system to keep it historical..........but that's ok; I'm placing all my Generals on my cell one touch connect just in case. :evil:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Obviously people can cheat. There are many things that people can cheat at, but it doesn't mean that it should affect the people that want this feature and really look forward to playing this way should not have access to it. I can't prevent people from picking up a telephone while they are playing. Probably easier than teamspeak. I can't allow worrying what people will do prevent me from creating some really cool features. Although I do work hard to make sure that our MP cannot be cheated at. Fact is that I'm not the best coder on the planet and there is always someone smarter that can get around what I do, I just have to make it as hard as I possibly can. I can't think of how anyone could cheat while playing (besides the phone thing) without causing the game to go out of sync. But someone will think of something and we'll have to address it in our patches.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Gnl. D.W. Marlow wrote:
Powell that is a fine idea. That would be a great feature for this game.
Thank you. If I had the time I would start creating the website, but now that I'm part of the testing team, the computer time that my wife allows me is maxed out. :laugh:

I could assist a little with ideas and content for the website though, so if there are any web designers out there that want to help, send me a PM. :)
Gnl. D.W. Marlow
Reactions:

Post by Gnl. D.W. Marlow »

The more I think about this the more excited I get...how would the OOB be organized? Would there be a mod where as a team/MP game you play as yourself in the OOB like the TC2M MMG OOB. I was pretty excited about the TC series of games, but this one seems so far ahead of them. I can't imagine playing this game and then going back to try and look at the Sid Meier games. It is hard enough going back from TC2M, but about every other month or so I do enjoy the video and general dialog that is in that old game. I feel like a kid at Christmas thinking abou this release. The MP is going to be a feature to enjoy especially if it is flexible enough to use any random OOB one can come up with.
Nosir, a chicken couldn't live on that field.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

The server or host of the game chooses the game type, then the OOB is displayed and all the players then get to choose who they want to play. Once everyone has made their choice, the host starts the game.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

norb wrote:
The server or host of the game chooses the game type, then the OOB is displayed and all the players then get to choose who they want to play. Once everyone has made their choice, the host starts the game.
Very cool. That should work perfect with creating a league/ladder. Players will have their General name posted on the league site, so everyone would always choose the right general when it was time to choose who you want to play. So lets say I work my way up the ranks from kicking Yankee butt on MP, and I get promoted to Division commander, I would always play as General Pickett, or untill I was promoted again. If we have enough players, maybe we could even have new recruits join as Regimental commanders.

Norb - Is it possible to play as a regiment in MP, or is it Brigade and above?
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

MP battles, Corps sized fight/ Example:

1. A Confederate Corps with 3 Div.'s.

a) Now in the MP game, would the Corps commander actually have control of one of those Div.'s, while 2 other players control the other 2 Div's?

b) Or will the Corps commander be a 4th person on the team, and basicly giving orders and direction to the other 3 players/Div. commanders?

I know (a) would probably be more fun for the Corps commander, but if he's busy fighting with a Div., will he have time to think clearly enough to respond to his other Div. commanders.
And wouldn't (b) have a more realistic feel, that is, more historicly accurate, and giving him time to keep a constant eye on the big picture.

Just asking!
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Eph: A corps commander can issue orders to any unit within his command as it is right now. There are a number of historical examples of commanders 'wearing two hats', but very few where they did it very well.

LP: The lowest available command positions are: infantry brigade, artillery battery, cavalry brigade.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Little Powell wrote:
rebeltim wrote:
maybe someone can make up a MP website for this game. scheduled battles you can sign up for days in advance. just trying to think outside the box.
That's a great idea.

I was also thinking; as many of you know, JC Edwards maintains the MMG OOB where members of the community are part of the OOB commanding brigades, divisions, etc.

Well for multiplayer games, maybe we can use a similar concept where each commander has to earn their promotion. If you are new to multiplayer, you can start out commanding a brigade. If you perform well during a battle, you can be promoted to division commander and higher. We could have a website where people apply for their command and if there is a place for them, they are promoted and can take part in the next scheduled battle. There could be several armies to make sure there is room for everyone.
Good call Little Powell!

I like that idea. It would be good for MP. And it would give me the opportunity to learn as I go. Much the same way I did in TC2M. Learning how to manage and fight with a Brig., then a Div., and then a Corps. I would be much more comfortable learning in steps.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Ephrum wrote:
MP battles, Corps sized fight/ Example:

1. A Confederate Corps with 3 Div.'s.

a) Now in the MP game, would the Corps commander actually have control of one of those Div.'s, while 2 other players control the other 2 Div's?

b) Or will the Corps commander be a 4th person on the team, and basicly giving orders and direction to the other 3 players/Div. commanders?

I know (a) would probably be more fun for the Corps commander, but if he's busy fighting with a Div., will he have time to think clearly enough to respond to his other Div. commanders.
And wouldn't (b) have a more realistic feel, that is, more historicly accurate, and giving him time to keep a constant eye on the big picture.

Just asking!
How MP will work is that he can issue orders to anyone under his command, just like the SP game. But if one of his subordinates is a human player, he cannot control that person or his subs.

So if you are a corp, with 3 divisions, 2 controlled by humans, you would have control of the third one.