Will this be a good gaming rig for this game in your opinion?

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Will this be a good gaming rig for this game in your opinion?

Post by 4thMissInf.Co.F »

I'm getting a new PC built for gaming, this one I have just runs this with so little of the eye candy. Will I be okay in your opinion with this build? I didn't want to spend more than $1,800. Thank you in advance, I am computer illiterate.

CPU – 6 core Sandybridge-E 3930K
Graphics, 2X Geforce GTX660 2GB
RAM, 32 GB
Hard drive, 600 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor
Windows 7 Home 64bit
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
RDBoles
Reactions:

Re: Will this be a good gaming rig for this game in your opinion?

Post by RDBoles »

Very nice indeed! Should work very well with any game out there. As far as your being computer illiterate, I think you just passed the test with an A++++. This holiday season I'm getting the Nook HD Tablet. This comming summer I'll build my Mega Gamer Computer. Scourge of War games are the best war games on the market. IMO
Last edited by RDBoles on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Move Forward
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Are you building it yourself?

Those parts are plenty. But I don't know why you'd want to get two GTX660s, you could instead get a single GTX6## which would require less power and make less noise. Depending on what you spend, you could get a 660 for $300 (which is totally enough for this game), or a 670 for $400 or a 680 for $500. The higher you go the more power it needs and more noise it'll make.

If I was putting together a computer with $1300 to $1500, I'd get stuff like this:

CPU - i7 2600K ~$300 (should be as fast per-core as your 3930, but half the price. 4 cores is plenty for most any gaming you can do right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070

GPU - GTX 670 ~$400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125423

RAM - 16GB 1600mhz ~$70

Hard Drive - Samsung 830 256GB ~$200 (much faster than your velociraptor. It's half the size. If you have tons of music or movies to store, you can get a big secondary hard drive for $100, and just put windows and games on the Samsung drive.)

Then Windows 7, a case, power supply (600 watt is enough) and high end motherboard for the above would be an additional $300 to $500 depending on the quality you want.

With my above build, I would probably save another $200 and get a 2500K CPU and single GTX 660 Ti. Use the extra money to upgrade sooner in the future.

But to answer your question, your build is enough, just it puts a lot of money in places I wouldn't spend it, and if you add in a case, motherboard and power supply it could approach $2000, and won't perform noticeably better than what I posted for this game, or most games.
Last edited by Garnier on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Thank you very much for the reply. I had always bought Gateway's and was now leaning toward a Dell Alienware. When I spoke to my computer guy he said he could build one for much cheaper. A Dell Alienware equivalent to the above specs was $3,300 and I'm getting this for $1,800. But, in all honesty, that is all a foreign language above.

Thank you again RDBoles!
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Are you building it yourself?

Those parts are plenty. But I don't know why you'd want to get two GTX660s, you could instead get a single GTX6## which would require less power and make less noise. Depending on what you spend, you could get a 660 for $300 (which is totally enough for this game), or a 670 for $400 or a 680 for $500. The higher you go the more power it needs and more noise it'll make.

If I was putting together a computer with $1300 to $1500, I'd get stuff like this:

CPU - i7 2600K ~$300 (should be as fast per-core as your 3930, but half the price. 4 cores is plenty for most any gaming you can do right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070

GPU - GTX 670 ~$400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125423

RAM - 16GB 1600mhz ~$70

Hard Drive - Samsung 830 256GB ~$200 (much faster than your velociraptor. It's half the size. If you have tons of music or movies to store, you can get a big secondary hard drive for $100, and just put windows and games on the Samsung drive.)

Then Windows 7, a case, power supply (600 watt is enough) and high end motherboard for the above would be an additional $300 to $500 depending on the quality you want.

But to answer your question, your build is enough, just it puts a lot of money in places I wouldn't spend it, and if you add in a case, motherboard and power supply it could approach $2000, and won't perform noticeably better than what I posted for this game, or most games.
Hi Garnier,

First, I love your OOB program. I am using it extensively for what I hope to release as Atlanta campaign scenario's.

No, sir, I couldn't build a computer to save my life. I am having it built. The specs I have is complete out the door. He has a very good reputation here (in this small town area) and is the only reason I even thought to speak with him. But, as I said, I am a computer illiterate which is why I'm asking those in the know on what they think. I know cars/boats, so this would be the equivalent of the Seinfeld "Johnson Rod" episode if it were computers, lol.

Thank you sir for your input!
My Ancestors:

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

If your friend is building it as you specified, at that price, you could just tell him to save you $500 and get an i7 2600K and only a single GTX 660. You won't notice the difference, and you've got $500 extra.

That's the simplest and most useful advice I can give given your situation.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Hard drive, 600 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor
That's a bit small by today's standards. Tell your builder you would prefer a drive at least 1TB in size. They are cheap.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Nice rig.

I'm no expert but Garnier's advice seems sound.

I would also consider a SSD (solid state Drive) hard drive with any money you might save. By putting your programs on this and your data on your HD you will find loading up a whole lot quicker.

A Corsair CPU cooler is also a big recommendation. Keeps my cpu icy and is quiet too.
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

I am communicating with the builder currently on every recommendation received thus far on this page. I absolutely thank each and every one of you for your suggestions.

I am hoping to get this rig begun next week so this is a huge help.
My Ancestors:

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

The thing to consider with Solid State Drives is whether you can handle having two drives. You'd need one small (say, 256gb) solid state drive to put windows and all your games on, and a second big hard drive for music, pictures and movies or whatever you have that takes lots of space.

If you're computer literate enough to see when your smaller SSD drive is getting full and do something about it (move stuff to the bigger drive), then you'll be fine and you can enjoy the super fast reboot and game loading times that SSDs give.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it might be easier to just get one standard drive that's big enough for everything.

If you do get an SSD, get the Samsung 830. Some of the brands are unreliable and die frequently. The Samsung 830 has the best reputation so far, with a near-zero failure rate.
Last edited by Garnier on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.