MP Performance Questions for the Community at Large

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Olszowy
Reactions:

MP Performance Questions for the Community at Large

Post by Olszowy »

I must admit frustration at the game freezing with no errors in the log files. Last night we managed about an hour and a half, then we all crashed to desktop at the same time. No errors in the log file.
We routinely play 5-8 co-op against the AI. Stock maps, custom OOB, no cav, 3 artillery batteries per Union Corps/CSA Div. Depending on players total number of troops usually around 40000-60000 Union and consistently 60000ish CSA. Graphics settings are usually mid for terrain and troops. At least one player is on wireless and two joining from the same home network. Skype is the communication tool used.
I know the game runs as slow as the slowest machine and I know large SOW hates large OOBs. Skype the bandwidth pig is a suspect as well. For those of you who play co-op MP what do you use as troop cap, what do you use for communications? Any techniques that work for you to improve performance?
Last edited by Olszowy on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: MP Performance Questions for the Community at Large

Post by Garnier »

The big games always use teamspeak, which has never been known to be an issue.

Most games, at ~90 minutes, don't freeze. We used to have frequent freezes back in patch 1.2 or 1.3, but that's long since fixed.

Wireless connection is probably an issue.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Jonah
Reactions:

Re: MP Performance Questions for the Community at Large

Post by Jonah »

Ventrilo might be more resource friendly than Teamspeak but you definatly need to dump Skype as a comms tool I would have a close look at temps on the computers immediately after a crash. I agree with Garnier about the wireless connection too.