Analysis of Variance of Firing Angles and Hit Percentages on the Battlefield

Here we solicit numbers from members concerning anything regarding historical numbers that affect a Civil War simulation: hit rates, rates of fire, casualty rates, movement rates, you name it. The idea is that we're really trying to get the numbers for the game right.

KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: Analysis of Variance of Firing Angles and Hit Percentages on the Battlefield

Post by KG_Soldier »

Hancock the Superb: "SCOREBOARD"

Get him Hancock.

This debate is way more interesting that listening to Obama and Romney spout talking points.

In the red corner. . . weighing 135 pounds, High School Prodigy, cross country runner, HANCOCK THE SUPERB!

In the blue corner. . . weighing god knows what, the Old Physicist from Western Colorado, where the altitude affects how quickly water boils, MTG!

And for the record. . . I have a BA in History and English and a MFA in fiction, so I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about.

BUT at one point in my life, I did pass College Algebra, and I vaguely remember something about crossing out the same stuff on both sides of the equation, so I have the High School Prodigy up 1-0.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remembered the cross country running bit
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re: Analysis of Variance of Firing Angles and Hit Percentages on the Battlefield

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Humorous post, KG! :laugh: About guessed my weight too. 130 lbs and 6 ft tall. Prodigy, likely not. But if I ever win a Nobel Prize in any field, I'll let you consider me one (a rather unlikely event).

Perhaps a little biased for a scorekeeper? :)

MTG deserves credit (his way definitely works); I am probably not communicating my mathematics in a coherent fashion.
Hancock the Superb
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

I am probably not communicating ..... in a coherent fashion.
Since when HAVE you EVER communicated in a coherent fashion?! :P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Barrow
Reactions:

Post by Barrow »

>1/2at^2 = 1/2at^2 regardless of initial velocities as long as the times are the same. Total
>displacement = v0t + 1/2at^2. I am subtracting the 1/2at^2 from each equation because it
>affects the displacement the same. So for a downward fired bullet, dx<0. For a horizontal
>bullet, dx=0. For a upward fired bullet, dx>0. In my several years of experience in the
>realms of physics and calculus, the equations used and the math applied are correct. If
>anyone has different equations and demonstrates a different answer than mine, I am an avid
>learner. I am the first to say that bullheadedness hinders learning.

If your target were hanging from a tree limb, and you knew he would let go of the tree limb the precise
moment you pulled the trigger, then gravity would cancel out for both your projectile and his fall. The dx of your bullet would match the dx of the falling target. So in that case the best option is to aim directly at the target. If you are aiming at a target that is standing on the ground gravity does not cancel out. The ground is negating the dx of the target while the projectile is in motion.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

B,

THAT is an example even I can understand! Thanks for that.

B

:P
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

So in that case the best option is to aim directly at the target
Only if your gun is level with the tree limb relative to the earth's surface.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Hancock The Superb wrote:
the angle added due to gravity (as the projectile takes an parabola instead of a line) is cancelled on both sides of the equation.
And therein lies your problem. There is nothing on the other side of the equation to cancel. The target is motionless, it is not growing into the ground while the bullet is in flight. From the perspective of the bullet, the target is actually accelerating upward. At 100 yd. if you aim between the target's knees and feet, you will miss.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Barrow
Reactions:

Post by Barrow »

So in that case the best option is to aim directly at the target
Only if your gun is level with the tree limb relative to the earth's surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxvsHNRXLjw
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

What seemed to me like common sense was wrong. Good show.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

"I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered,... -- "I refute it thus.""

James Boswell - Life of Samuel Johnson

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam