Scenario question

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Scenario question

Post by LeatherneckGA »

I've been playing one of the "what if" scenarios for the last few hours, when it occurred to me that I was facing quite a few more Union Troops than I should have been facing. The Scenario "Three times is not a charm", has the single player (as I'm sure everyone knows), as Jackson in charge of the 2nd Corps.

I pushed the Union right flank back to within about 100 yards of the town, when all of a sudden, my right flank is hit by fresh Union Troops coming from the direction of Mcpherson's ridge. What the heck says I, so I pan over to see what's going on at Mcpherson's, concerned that Longstreet has been driven from the field and I now face the entire Union Army of day 1 all by me onesy.

Nope, Longstreet, Lee, and all of Longstreet's corps are there alright.. But they are NOT engaged. In fact, they haven't even left their starting positions, AND Longstreet has a victory score total of almost 500. (mine is in the toilet around -1200 at this point).

So, here I am, taking on virtually the entirety of the XIth and the 1st Corps of the Army of the Potomac, while Lee and Longstreet.... drink tea (sweet tea mind you), and discuss the politics of the palmetto state....

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance :P
Last edited by LeatherneckGA on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re: Scenario question

Post by JC Edwards »

In the few times I have played through this scenario, I have never seen Longstreet's Corps make a move. I do not believe they do.
No worries for me though; I've scored over 23,000 on this one thus far........may give it another go when I have the time. :evil:

regards

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Ok, well it doesn't make sense to me that every unit in front of Longstreet's corps is going to suddenly break off and come running to the assistance of the union right flank, if Longstreet's corps is not going to engage. They should also be "stuck" in position if you cannot get Longstreet or Lee to support you by doing their part :P
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Just to give you a little "under the hood" information on this scenario. I looked at the script, and most of the decisions are left up to the AI. Longstreet's Corps is not locked down, but Lee is ordering him to Hold at all costs. The Union forces mostly start in their historic positions, but of course they will move around according to the way the battle is progressing. The AI can sense weaknesses and when areas of their line is in trouble, and will deploy forces accordingly.

This is one of the beauties of the AI in this game, and why I am against too much scripting in scenarios. The AI will often surprise you with their ingenuity.. :)
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Thank you for the under the hood info on the scenario. However, based on what you said here

"The AI can sense weaknesses and when areas of their line is in trouble, and will deploy forces accordingly."

Doesn't that hold true for BOTH sides? Or is that only true for the OPFOR in a single player game?

I have seen it said in other areas of the Command Staff, that the AI cannot "see" anything more than what you can see while in HITS mode. If that is true, then how did they react so quickly to a perceived threat? I'm not saying it isn't true, what I'm questioning is, the ability of the OPFOR AI to react quickly to a perceived threat when the AI on the Friendly side does not react at all.

That is the part that is confusing to me I guess. Coupled with the fact that several requests were sent to a fellow Corps commander AND the Army commander to provide support. Never received so much as a "kiss my grits" response from either of them :P

I have played this in HITS and in free camera mode, so I was able to determine that the courier DID reach the CG, but at no time was any support given, and at the same time, my command was being buried by every yank on the field lol.

Thanks for discussing this, I'm hoping to be able to better understand how this whole thing works, and this is giving me some good insight.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

LeatherneckGA wrote:
I have played this in HITS and in free camera mode, so I was able to determine that the courier DID reach the CG, but at no time was any support given, and at the same time, my command was being buried by every yank on the field lol.
What did you do to request support? The only courier command that works is "Request Support" under the information tab. Send it to both Lee and Longstreet. I don't know if that will work in a scripted scenario, but that is how one gets AI controlled units to come to the player's aid in sandbox play.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Opened the Courier Message center, selected Lee, sent a request for support, did the same for Longstreet. However I did NOT use the "request for support" out of the list. What I did use was "request infantry support to my.." and "request infantry support at this location".

I'll try the other and see if it makes a difference.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Ok, well, that did seem to work. I guess I was just confused on how that request for support actually worked. Thank you muchly for that information :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Yes, that is the only command that will work with the AI in that tab. All the others are meant to be used in MP only.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

I didn't realise that limitation either.

Very confusing that the courier rides away empty handed ?

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"