Working with Windows 8 Operating System...

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Working with Windows 8 Operating System...

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

How to uninstall an App you installed from the Microsoft Store. I installed a sample free app from the MS app store, and I will show you how to uninstall it after you decide to do that.

The app is called "US Army Weapon Systems". To uninstall the app, just right click on it's icon (Start Menu), then you will see on the bottom of your screen a toolbar appear. Just mosey on over, and click the Uninstall option. That's it, it's that simple.

All apps that you download from the app store will not appear in your "Programs & Features" to uninstall. The apps can only be uninstalled as I have posted above.

Note: If you want to know where the information is stored about each app you use, you will find it at this location on your HD: C:\Users\<profilename>\AppData\Local\Packages

Here is a pic just to give you a visual.
The attachment uninstallapp.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
uninstallapp.jpg
uninstallapp.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

If you are wondering how to turn off live tiles this is how you can do it. You will notice that when you first install Windows, the Start Menu will already have tiles or icons changing every few seconds.

To turn off the live updates for a particular tile, just right click on the tile or icon then you will see a panel appear at the bottom of your screen. All you have to do is select "Turn Live Tile Off".

That's it... Here is a pic just too show you what I mean.
The attachment 2_2012-11-07.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
2_2012-11-07.jpg
2_2012-11-07.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

For those who wish to know how to switch between making the Start Menu smaller than their default size, this is how you can do it.

Right click on the tile, you will then see a toolbar appear at the bottom of the screen. Select "Smaller".

That is it. here is a pic to show you what I mean.
The attachment 5.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Well, well. I decided to install Starcraft (original) to see if it would work, and it installed with no problems whatsoever. I had no need to use the compatibility options which is really odd since I had a few problems having it work correctly in Windows 7. I didn't install Broodwars since I just wanted to test it out.
The attachment starcraft.png is no longer available
Attachments
starcraft.png
starcraft.png (161.16 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Here is something called Skydrive which comes with Windows 8, and it is linked into your Live Account. You are able to upload, and share any files that you wish to share with anyone. Mind you though the storage space is around 7 gig, and to ask for more you have to pay for it.

If you are using Skydrive the app, you will have very few options such as create folder, upload, download etc. Now if you wish more options to share links to your files, or send them via email, just visit http://skydrive.live.com and enter your login information, and you will be able to fully access your files you wish to share.

[screenshots]

In this pic below, I created a folder under Public->Torchlight II Mods. I already uploaded a UI Globe mod just for this example. Now right click on the folder you wish to share.
The attachment skydrive.jpg is no longer available
This screenshot below shows that once you do the above above, other options will appear which will allow you to share the file with other either by Facebook, Email, or Grab the Link to the folder. It acts no differently than any other service we are use to for sharing files.
The attachment skydrive2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
skydrive2.jpg
skydrive2.jpg (198.19 KiB) Viewed 215 times
skydrive.jpg
skydrive.jpg (179.91 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

This app is one of my favorites so far since it is so close the Christmas Season. The app plays up to so far 4 plus hours of the Christmas songs.

Here is a small mp3 sample I made along with a screenshot.

MP3 Sample: http://justallinone.com/files/YourChristmasApp.mp3
The attachment YourChristmasApp.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
YourChristmasApp.jpg
YourChristmasApp.jpg (368.36 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

To be honest, Windows 8 isn't designed for gaming. Just stay with Windows 7. Why change when you don't need to?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

I got bored, and I thought I would install TC2M to see if it would install, and play under Windows 8.... Guess what? It installed nicely, and works nicely.

Just thought I would record the game for those who might have had questions about it working under Windows 8. I would have recorded an entire battle, but the .avi file just takes forever to upload to my Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dG71JeUfZI
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

To be honest, Windows 8 isn't designed for gaming. Just stay with Windows 7. Why change when you don't need to?
If you say so.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrostyWinnipeg
Reactions:

Post by FrostyWinnipeg »

Friend asked me to help him install Sid Meier's Gettysburg! on his Win8.1 x64 system.

Installed from cd no problem by running setup.exe and then added the XP patch. Set LEE.EXE compatibility to XP.

On first run it wanted to install something called DirectPlay which was done and it seems to run fine. The map scrolls too fast like op said. Going into Preferences though crashes LEE.EXE.

I think the only thing we need to change is the map scrolling like someone said.

Does anyone know what should be added in the Gettysburg.ini file to turn map scrolling off?