Attacking Arty

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Re: Attacking Arty

Post by Robert E Lee »

Yes, your regiments take fewer casualties if in skirmish formation. (Most of the time.)

With All Due Respect,
Robert E. Lee
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

add this line to the [Initialization] section of sowgb.ini which is in the \Work folder: aicount=55
The default value is 40, I believe. We settled on 55 as best for HITS play. The AI units are not necessarily more aggressive, just more clever.
I have looked through the Work Folder but I can't find the term:
aicount
anywhere. I would like to change the value to 55 but I need help in locating the exact place to do this. Thanks.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

"add this line. . . ."
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Sorry, KG, I don't know what that means. Add what line??
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

add this line to the [Initialization] section of sowgb.ini which is in the \Work folder: aicount=55
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Clio,

Add the following line - aicount=55. There is no line aicount=40. The AI itself knows the default value of 40. By adding the line aicount=55 you will ramp up the cleverness of the AI. I did it and I hate the damn thing now. LOL!
The line goes in the SOWGB.ini file in the Work folder of the Game. Put it under the heading [initialization].

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Ok, here's what I did:

I found a file simply labeled sowgb, a Configuration settings type file.

I found a heading called "initialization," in that file, so that is where I added: aicount=55

Whew, did I get it right?

Thanks, Jack!
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Sorry, KG, I don't know what that means. Add what line??
Sorry, I thought you could figure out the rest as I was quoting your own quote from above.
mb213
Reactions:

Post by mb213 »

If you are under the gun (so to speak)heed the advise given. I have found it helpful to attack guns while they are targeting other units. You must make your attack swift and in force. By the time the artillery switches its focus to your units (which takes time) your men should be among them. Then attack quickly while the artillery units either fire off their ball, or reload to canister. You are going to loose men but should not have much problem capturing guns or running them off. Forgot to mention; send a leader with your attacking force- other wise your men may run- away.
Last edited by mb213 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann"
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Post by Robert E Lee »

Go to your options, scroll down until you see AI Strength (it will be on the left hand side) and just click and hold the + arrow.

With All Due Respect,
Robert E. Lee ;)