Tips on scenerio #4 "Fire At The Furnace"

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Ah man, thank god I saw this thread...I thought I was the only one and that I was doing something horribly wrong. How do you micromanage a full corp in those woods? I could barely keep my head wrapped around things issuing orders to my division commanders.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

If it helps (I only got a draw), I held back initially from attacking the main crossroads, and meanwhile moved Williams division to the left whilst also sending artillery quickly to hit the enemy columns as they travel along the road. They seem to get a bit confused by this and halter, meanwhile you can manouver Birney etc to the right, without major engagement until you are ready, that way your men are not beat up and not fatigued. The sharpshooter boys should be meanwhile covering the crossroads area, and boy do they do a good job!

Then, with luck you should be ready for when all hell breaks loose when the second part of the scenario kicks in - have enough men to hold the middle whilst distracting the enemy flanking manouvers.

Getting artillery in the right positions is also crucial!

After all that, you may get a draw like me!

Or maybe better? ;)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

You guys are now talking about scenario 4 right? Kind of confusing with the thread title. I'll see about creating a new topic and merging the CV04 discussion posts there.. Standby.

Edit: Done and Done. :)
Last edited by Little Powell on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Well, both scenarios started and ended the same for me. Starting out, I thought I was doing well, but after awhile, enemy reinforcements swamp me and I get a major defeat
Col D. Streamer
Reactions:

Re: Tips on scenerio #4 "Fire At The Furnace"

Post by Col D. Streamer »

Well I was getting the same - a major defeat after several attempts so in the end I bit the bullet and chaged the difficulty option much against my better judgement - and I immediately got a victory! I will play it again at this level and if I succeed again will reset the difficulty to its original level and try again.

Just consider that option because its just as much fun and a it's great to get a win at last in spite of the easier opposition!
regards to all

Nick
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Nothing wrong with that, that's why we have the different difficulty levels. All scenarios were designed and are beatable on Normal difficulty level. However some of the scenarios are a major challenge even for the seasoned veterans.

We like to provide a good mix of difficulty levels on the scenarios, while avoiding Very Easy.. That's what the tutorials and Entry-level Brigade Scenarios are for. :)
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Yeah, but in all of them I always seem to be outnumbered. In scenario #2 playing as slocum, I got swamped by mclaws and another division. I asked for support buy no one showed. In scenario 3, I figured playing as mclaws( same scenario but other side) it is my turn to overwhelm. I launch my attack and next thing I know there is a whole union division and then some coming down on my flank. Funny, when I played the union in that scenario, I didn't have an extra division lying around
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

#2 is all about a fighting retreat, as it was historically. You're not supposed to defeat the rebs, you're supposed to withdraw as you are ordered to, while conserving your forces. Survival means victory for that scenario.

#3 is historical, with "what if" possibilities. And as it may not appear so, the forces are pretty evenly matched. You've got plenty of veteran Rebel forces to work with on that one.. They just need to be in the right place at the right time. ;)
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Hmmm. I thought #2 and #3 were mirror images of the same fight... Slocum meets mclaws. Seemed odd that the numbers would change but your explanation makes sense.

Please don't think I'm complaining! Not at all. They are brilliant scenarios and a great AI to go along with it. It just makes you realize how hard commanding troops is...especially in the woods ( I play HITS with courier for brigade and above) you can really lose grasp on what is happening.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Wow, I can imagine playing #2 and #3 with couriers and brigades is incredibly difficult. You're a braver man than I, sir. :laugh: