Managing Regiments

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Group Captain Mandrake
Reactions:

Managing Regiments

Post by Group Captain Mandrake »

Some help please as I am new to this. I want to try some MP but I fear it will be an ass-hander.

1) When regiments are set to "Advance" or "Fall Back", does it impede their rate of fire?

2) At what range will a regiment auto-melee?

3) Does an AI regiment falling back imply weakness?

4) How do you know when a regiment is going to break? I know it must have to do with fatigue/morale/experience but what I am asking is can you tell in a second or two just by looking at morale/fatigue in game? Gestalt? Fifth sense? Kirlian photography?

5) When a regiment is heavily engaged and about to break what is the best option? Is more harm done letting them break (assuming they don't rout) or ordering a retreat?

6)Also, what about regiment overlaps? I notice that two regiments will appear to fire even if part of the regiments overlap and even if one line is partly in front of the other on level ground. Are they both still firing at full efficacy?

7) Terrain and big regiments. If a wing of a regiment is sticking out of a wooded area but the flag is in the woods and indicates so, does the portion of the regiment in the open still get the terrain advantage? The reason I ask is there is no doubt that a regiment taking some flank fire will show soldiers falling on the wing taking the fire.

8) Same question as 7 concerning spotting and regimental fragments sticking out in the open.
Last edited by Group Captain Mandrake on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Re: Managing Regiments

Post by Blaugrana »

I'm afraid I don't have complete answers to most of these questions and will be reading with interest the replies from more expert players when they come.

I'm only replying because, despite this lack of knowledge I greatly enjoy playing MP games (with the HITS&Couriers group). IMHO, you would enjoy MP games already.

In answer to your last two questions, I believe that the whole unit is treated equally, depending on the position of the flag.

Hope to see you on the field soon.
Last edited by Blaugrana on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Some help please as I am new to this. I want to try some MP but I fear it will be an ass-hander.

1) When regiments are set to "Advance" or "Fall Back", does it impede their rate of fire?

4) How do you know when a regiment is going to break? I know it must have to do with fatigue/morale/experience but what I am asking is can you tell in a second or two just by looking at morale/fatigue in game? Gestalt? Fifth sense? Kirlian photography?

5) When a regiment is heavily engaged and about to break what is the best option? Is more harm done letting them break (assuming they don't rout) or ordering a retreat?

6)Also, what about regiment overlaps? I notice that two regiments will appear to fire even if part of the regiments overlap and even if one line is partly in front of the other on level ground. Are they both still firing at full efficacy?

7) Terrain and big regiments. If a wing of a regiment is sticking out of a wooded area but the flag is in the woods and indicates so, does the portion of the regiment in the open still get the terrain advantage? The reason I ask is there is no doubt that a regiment taking some flank fire will show soldiers falling on the wing taking the fire.

8) Same question as 7 concerning spotting and regimental fragments sticking out in the open.
1) advance - improved, fallback - less
2) 35 yards or if they bump
3) yes
4) Tough to calculate, I watch strength, at 60% they're real close
5) Don't let them break, retreat is risky as they may still break while retreating. I use attackmarch to get them out of the action, plus hit run if they're not too tired.
6) Overlapping decreases firepower
7) flag location dictates cover for all
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Didn't know about this. Do you know the modifier it gives? Is it an added modifier, or a multiplier?
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Didn't know about this. Do you know the modifier it gives? Is it an added modifier, or a multiplier?
Logical rational - firing distances

Oops, rate of fire, not sure :unsure:
However, from general observations fallback appears to diminish ROF.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

OK, so it's not a modifier because they are in the "advancing" or "falling back" state, it's just that after advancing you're closer to the enemy -- so both sides might have more firepower if they are now in a different range threshold for their weapon.

(It's good this way -- a hardcoded firepower modifier for these two states would not be good.)
Last edited by Garnier on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Group Captain Mandrake
Reactions:

3) yes
5) Don't let them break, retreat is risky as they may still break while retreating. I use attackmarch to get them out of the action, plus hit run if they're not too tired.
Thanks for the quick response.

F/u questions:

2) What is a "bump"? Is that caused by too many beans?

4) Good answer on this one but if 60% of original strength is the test wouldnt that mean the regiment is then useless for combat for the rest of the fight?

5) So you mean give an order to march in a direction away from the fire they are taking? Will they not take a penalty for enfilade fire turning their back to the enemy like that? The run part certainly makes sense
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

3) yes
Thanks for the quick response.

F/u questions:

2) What is a "bump"? Is that caused by too many beans?

4) Good answer on this one but if 60% of original strength is the test wouldnt that mean the regiment is then useless for combat for the rest of the fight?

5) So you mean give an order to march in a direction away from the fire they are taking? Will they not take a penalty for enfilade fire turning their back to the enemy like that? The run part certainly makes sense
2) OK, how about touch...furthermore, the distance of 35 yards is between flags
4) Not sure why but once unengaged for a while and at best rallied by an officer, they can return to battle refreshed and get down to 60% again deductated from their new strength. Maybe a little less stamina, but still very effective...not crappy like SMG.
5) Nope, no penalty, just loss of troops getting the Hell outta there :ohmy:
Group Captain Mandrake
Reactions:

Excellent...most excellent....
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

It's important to TC regiments before giving the fallback command. Un-TC'd regiments will retreat when they back out of range, TC'd regiments will not.