The Mad One's School of Cavalry Tactics

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: The Mad One's School of Cavalry Tactics

Post by Davinci »

Can you tell a poor trooper how to capture darn wagons?
I will absolutely never, ever, ever try to capture an enemy supply-wagon, even if it means moving several regiments out of the way so that the enemy supply-wagon can turn-about.

It will ruin a single-player-game due to the fact that the enemy soldiers will not re-supply and constantly march back to the front-lines only to retreat again.

That has a fun-factor of zero to me, I would rather just allow them to re-supply and shoot them down.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

....I would rather just allow them to re-supply and shoot them down.

davinci
That's why we dig ya big D. :)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Saddletank

You are quite correct that the Cavalry is "fickle". This is why I advise all that the best thing to do is always TC the Cavalry. Yes I understand that this means "micro-managing"; but in the end the results can be much of a gain.

But, just as with Infantry units, you should always "look at what you have". What are the units attributes? And, are they "regular Cavalry" or "mounted Infantry"?

Yes, with the invention of the more accurate rifle, Cavalry played a lesser role in actual assault charges during the ACW. But if you know how to use Cavalry.....the "what if's" are countless for this Sim.

Seasoned, Regular and Veteran units are best for melee/fire fights (some Volunteer units as well....they may not be much for melee; but they might be good marksmen). Conscript, Irregulars and Militia are best for scouting and capture of supply trains.

Also, what type of firearm are they equipped with? As we know, Carbine equipped units can have a devastating effect on enemy Infantry (and enemy Cavalry) because of the faster loading/rate of fire. Units armed with Enfields/Springfields can be highly effective for flanking.
But you must pay strict attention to their marksmanship. The "average" unit will not be as deadly as those with "good" or above.

I recommend Saddletank (and all of you wanting to understand and learn more about the effective use of Cavalry) to do a web search on the Tactics and Strategies of Genghis Khan.... The finest Cavalry strategist. His use of "deception" manoeuvre's were the most brilliant and deadly of any I have ever researched.

I hope some of this helps..... but more questions are very welcomed. :)

kindest regards

The Mad One
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Useful stuff. Thanks.

I do have one o/s question: Is it necessary to touch flag to flag to capture a wagon?

Martin
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

I do have one o/s question: Is it necessary to touch flag to flag to capture a wagon?

Martin
I do not believe so Martin. I've had a Regiment reach the backside of a wagon and it was captured without reaching the flag.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Many thanks again JC.

Martin
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Could you advise how to use the cavalry 'Attack weak targets' button?

I tried it last night and the cavalry unit concerned went on a rampage chasing after units they were close to. They got tired and failed to drive off / capture anything but wouldn't stop.

It felt like I needed a 'neutral' button or one that said "OK, stop now". In the end I set them to guard another unit and chose another tired regiment! Any advice?

When cavalry need to be rested I get them to dismount. Is this the best / only way? I can't find an equivalent to the infantry lying down.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I played Prairie Grove last night, commanding a Union cavalry brigade and had the misfortune to come up against the 20th Texas Dismounted Cavalry. They stood on a fenceline, took huge casualties from various combinations of a total of seven Union regiments (my cavalry and some passing infantry who came to my aid) and routed two cavalry regiments and one or two infantry regiments. All the while they didn't appear to flinch and they were still at the crease when I gave up...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I played Prairie Grove last night, commanding a Union cavalry brigade and had the misfortune to come up against the 20th Texas Dismounted Cavalry. They stood on a fenceline, took huge casualties from various combinations of a total of seven Union regiments (my cavalry and some passing infantry who came to my aid) and routed two cavalry regiments and one or two infantry regiments. All the while they didn't appear to flinch and they were still at the crease when I gave up...
John's great great grandfather served and fought with the 20th Texas Cavalry. Could there be forces at work here that one can only wonder and ponder?...Hallowed Bonin Ground
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Calling Uncle JC....

In the OOBs there is a column labelled 'Horsemanship'. Can you please explain what adjusting this for a cavalry or artillery unit will have?

Thanks in advance

Martin