MeleeMod for the Infantry Square Formation

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: MeleeMod for the Infantry Square Formation

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Have tried changing infantry line aspects. RB is right, no need. Actually had a strong Battalion run away BEFORE the Cav really made contact. Hillarious!

Having tougher squares is the key. Have actually done the classic combined-arms defense, i.e: Infantry in square, batteries near by and Cav behind the lines to counter-charge. Awesome!

Jack B)

P.S. - trying to remember when the last time I played an ACW game. :laugh:
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Jack O'Neill wrote:
The other side of the coin now is to make line formations much more vulnerable to Cavalry attack (within the Nap Mod, of course), there by forcing the Human player, (at least), to form square to resist charging Horse units. I use square formation anyway, because it looks right for the period and is how it was done back then, but it would be great to HAVE to.
I'd suggest adjusting the values in statetables.csv. These values for the type 1 cavalry will give believable behavior for cavalry assaulting line infantry.
T1-Cav Mounted 198 6 100 10 198 6 100 10 198 6

They will destroy the line and follow the routing infantry until they surrender or they become too tired to pursue further.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thank you Reb, excellent news

Hopefully, I will get chance to test this out tomorrow with the Nap mod.

How did you manage to test this. Was it MP? In SP I would think the AI side would need to be high in cav and the human player take the inf role??

I will also try to put together an OOB with one side cav (of different types) and one side inf for SP testing, unless you or anyone else knows a way around this?

:)
To test this turn on AlphaOmega=1 in your SOWGB.ini file...thus controlling both sides.

If you don't have it, copy this to your ini file:

[Debug]
RakLog=0
DbgLvl=1
;NoAI=1
DrawTiles=0
;AlphaOmega=1
BenchMark=0
MPLog=1
;AutoGameDB=1

Many useful things here for testing...I use semi colons for turning functions off and on.
Thanks RB, Works fine

I didn't have these lines in my sowgb (ini) file.

For anyone else interested, the file is in the Works folder (Configuration setting)

To initiate any of the commands remember to delete the semi colon preceding it in the command line. Yes, it took me a while to work this out :P

BTW Will I need to turn all these 8 lines off (with Semi colon) before starting a normal game, especially concerned about MP. I will have a play around in the meantime. Thanks again :)
Last edited by Grog on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I'd suggest adjusting the values in statetables.csv.
I've had a look at that file. It is good that there is a function to modify inf vs cav fighting without changing inf vs inf fighting. What we really need though are two columns in drills for that, say CavMod and InfMod per formation. Then squares would work perfectly.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

BTW Will I need to turn all these 8 lines off (with Semi colon) before starting a normal game, especially concerned about MP. I will have a play around in the meantime. Thanks again
They are good as is for normal play, this is how I keep them when not testing.
[Debug]
RakLog=0
DbgLvl=1
;NoAI=1
DrawTiles=0
;AlphaOmega=1
BenchMark=0
MPLog=1
;AutoGameDB=1

You can also put =0 instead of =1 to turn off functions, which is probably obvious to most folks, I just prefer the semi colon way.

What we really need though are two columns in drills for that, say CavMod and InfMod per formation. Then squares would work perfectly.
Hold those thoughts until SOW makes that leap across the pond, but don't hold your breath. :P
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

RebBugler

I ran some quick tests with the changes you made to the drills.csv, MeleeMod (column P)

Without strenuous testing, I wasn't able to reproduce the effect you got. I will continue my testing but in the meantime could you (or anyone else) just confirm that I have changed the correct value.

I changed the drill within the Road to Wagram mod. Is this right?

The attachment Square.gif is no longer available
Attachments
Square.gif
Square.gif (17.77 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Last edited by Grog on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Appears you missed it by one column, column P, looks like you're modding O, but I'm not sure by that example. Also, I have 1 in columns H, Q, and R...keep form, can't move and can't charge.

Try my attached Drills:
The attachment drills.csv is no longer available
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thanks RB

My modified drills were correct except H column, which I have now set as 1.

Just managed to run one test since but the defending inf were all Spanish troops with deplorable stats. French cav made short work of these squares.

Earlier tests with Brit squares were much more promising, with a Seasoned battalion repulsing several charges and remaining steady throughout.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Grog,

Try opening the Drills.csv file in Notepad rather than Excel. Much easier to edit. Count over 16 commas and add your minus number. Have run tests with -800, -700 and -600. I think -500 will be the correct setting. Cavalry must be able to inflict more than a few casualties before recoiling. At -800 and -700 Cavalry inflict NO casualties. Weak.

RB,

Thanks again. This is a winner. Can actually advance and fight without my beloved Whitecoats, (and French, for that matter), running away for no reason. Conversely, infantry in line are still vulnerable to fresh Cavalry charging. Love it!

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Destraex
Reactions:

Post by Destraex »

Does this mean the AI will use square now?