Hidden Units in some scenarios

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Hidden Units in some scenarios

Post by Thomas J Jackson »

Have bought both Gettysburg & Chancellorsville and playing my way through the scenarios. Both games very, very challenging but so rewarding when a major victory (or even at least not a major defeat) is achieved.

My question is:- In some of the scenarios I have played #5,7 and 21 there are hidden units which are displayed in my OOB but I am unable to bring them into the battle. Very frustrating when I see they are
fresh, morale good, and so badly needed.

Any help or answers much appreciated
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Hidden Units in some scenarios

Post by Little Powell »

I assume you mean the hidden units in the Gettysburg scenarios. In Gettysburg, the way the scenarios were designed; if a unit was in the OOB under your command, but didn't actually take part in that particular engagement depicted in the scenario, they are hidden. So with #5, there are artillery units that weren't commanded by Schurz in the battle historically, this is why they are hidden. In #7, all units are under your command, none are hidden. So there must be some confusion there. #21 is a unique scenario because you control a regiment with two variants. There's one variant with the regiment split into 10 companies, 33 men each. The other variant, your regiment is slit into three companies of over 100 men each. There's a 50/50 chance for each variant. So depending on which variant you get, the companies not in use are hidden.
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Re: Hidden Units in some scenarios

Post by Thomas J Jackson »

Many Thanks LP.
Have just finished #21 again and got the variant with the smaller but more numerous units,
Lost heavily :))
The variant with the 3 larger units was much more easily (but not easy) to play. Have managed a score
of 1498. Will keep trying.
So far have completed Gettysburg scenarios #1-5 at major victory but only after many, many tries at each.
Hardest so far that I have played are #5 completed a MV today( after lots a tries) and #7 Round Tops which
still only achieved a draw after again many, many tries.
Game is awesome, never the same twice and has you sweating real-time.
You gain a huge appreciation just how difficult the real life generals and soldiers had in the Civil War to fight and gain their objectives or just merely to survive.

Once again many thanks LP for your help :))