Courrier system: detailed orders for positioning troops + pre-selecting recipient

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Courrier system: detailed orders for positioning troops + pre-selecting recipient

Post by BoldRover »

I'm currently trying to get acquainted with the courrier system in single player mode, in order to be able to join GCM MP HITS games in the future. After rereading pages 61-64 of the SoWG Manual, there's still some things that are not clear to me concerning COURRIERS (<> HITS).

In order to get up-to-speed asap, please find these questions:

1. When ordering troops to move (to map point), you can select a point on the map, thus adding coördinates in the courrier message. I have sent it in SP and the AI has obeyed.

However, 3 questions regarding this order:
a. To select the map point, the ingame map is used. Is there a way to zoom in, while choosing the map point? I would like to be able to, for example, direct my troops to take position exactly on top of a crest. The select map point will give exact coördinates, and hence I want to be able to decide exactly (well as exactly as possible at least...) on the coördinates to use, not by approximation.

b. Will the ordered troops take advantage of walls and other defensive terrain bonuses (common sense), even when my map point is "a few pixels" off? My limited tests until now, do not seem to confirm this.

c. I have yet to receive such a message (likely in MP), but suppose I get a message containing orders for me to move to certain coördinates: how can i see coordinates on the map so I can actually ascertain as to where I am to move?

2. http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/hits-h ... hosen-unit
Is this feature present in 1.5? At my first courrier-trial games I came to the same conclusion (requirement/nice to have). :)

Thank you.
Last edited by BoldRover on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Courrier system: detailed orders for positioning troops + pre-selecting recipient

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

BoldRover wrote:
a. To select the map point, the ingame map is used. Is there a way to zoom in, while choosing the map point? I would like to be able to, for example, direct my troops to take position exactly on top of a crest. The select map point will give exact coördinates, and hence I want to be able to decide exactly (well as exactly as possible at least...) on the coördinates to use, not by approximation.
There is no zoom feature. However if your screen's vertical resolution is 1024 or greater, then you can use the larger maps in the courier&maps mod: Large Courier&Maps Mod
That will help with the troop placement. But since the formations are linear and the terrain is rarely so, you will likely need to re-position some of the regiments when they arrive anyway.
b. Will the ordered troops take advantage of walls and other defensive terrain bonuses (common sense), even when my map point is "a few pixels" off? My limited tests until now, do not seem to confirm this.
When the fighting actually starts, they will often do so. But this is not always the case. You can use the move to cover command. The troops will move to ground that has a defensive bonus. Note that this may end up being the same ground they are already on, e.g. cornfield, woods, etc.
c. I have yet to receive such a message (likely in MP), but suppose I get a message containing orders for me to move to certain coördinates: how can i see coordinates on the map so I can actually ascertain as to where I am to move?
The AI will certainly never give you such a command. Since humans can use the free text system, they will send you a message telling you to move to a certain named location.

It is always nice to see a new player getting acquainted with the HITS and couriers. It is a great way to experience 19th century warfare.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Re: Courrier system: detailed orders for positioning troops + pre-selecting recipient

Post by BoldRover »

Thank you MTG. I'm using your mod which will hopefully help me manage.
Anthropoid
Reactions:

Post by Anthropoid »

Link seems to be broken.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

That is an old version. Go here for the latest: Courier & Maps Thread
The links are in the first post.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Anthropoid
Reactions:

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah I really like this Courier and maps mod! The additional commands are awesome for trying to control a large force in HITS mode. Sadly, I use a 42" big screen TV and 1024x768 is just about the best screen resolution for me. So the Large One doesn't work quite right. But the small is just fine and works well!