FireMod testing

Grog
Reactions:

FireMod testing

Post by Grog »

Just throwing out some ideas here.

I wondered if it would be possible to put together a toolbar which has two different inf line fire formations in order to test out any changes to the firemod value in drills.

I don't know the mechanics that well but, if we had a two deep line as well as a three deep line formation available, then we could perhaps increase the firepower of the former (reserved for Brit/KGL and Portuguese) and maybe increase the MeleeMod value for three deep formation (and Columns).

I will be willing to try this theory out if it has potential but I would prob need guidance and a few weeks to put one together.

Cheers
Last edited by Grog on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: FireMod testing

Post by Garnier »

Just remember that no one will let their troops melee in line formation if column has a better MeleeMod. Because formation change is instant, you'll click column as soon as you're about to touch in melee.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Just throwing out some ideas here.

I wondered if it would be possible to put together a toolbar which has two different inf line fire formations in order to test out any changes to the firemod value in drills.

I don't know the mechanics that well but, if we had a two deep line as well as a three deep line formation available, then we could perhaps increase the firepower of the former (reserved for Brit/KGL and Portuguese) and maybe increase the MeleeMod value for three deep formation (and Columns).

I will be willing to try this theory out if it has potential but I would prob need guidance and a few weeks to put one together.

Cheers
Fast solution for testing, split the Inf Line button so you can have both formations handy. Check out one of my toolbars for details...it's pretty simple. Make sure they both are checked 'CanFight' in the Drills.csv.

Garnier, why would column ever have a better MeleeMod number boost? I would think just the opposite, that column be penalized when used to induce melees...the dreaded Column Charge can now be crippled.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thnx fellas

I agree with Garnier that a Column should have better melee factors to represent the shock impetus of a formation with depth. Its an excepted norm in most accepted Napoleonic wargames/rules, anyway. Not to say that there is strong historical evidence for this. One for debate, I think.

I had actually considered this and thought an appropriate increase in column meleemod, slightly > than 3 deep line might be possible.

This all depends, of course, on whether there is a workable sensitive gradient within the meleemod values.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Grog is talking about Napoleonic battle columns, not maneuver columns.

I'm just saying that adding a MeleeMod for column is pointless, because no unit need ever engage in melee in any other formation -- so it will just cancel out, but still add unnecessary micromanaging by making it worthwhile to always switch to column right before a melee.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

British troops uses lines also for attack columns formation; column is used for attack only because the troops move more rapidly, losing less order because are less wide and can be better controlled by the NCO; the troops are also less prone to stop and shoot before the contact, which was a natural tendency (avoid the fear of close combat).
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I have tweaked the firemod for squares in my next patch so their fire power is reduced alot and it seems to work.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Grog is talking about Napoleonic battle columns, not maneuver columns.

I'm just saying that adding a MeleeMod for column is pointless, because no unit need ever engage in melee in any other formation -- so it will just cancel out, but still add unnecessary micromanaging by making it worthwhile to always switch to column right before a melee.
I stand corrected.

As long as both sides have the same formation criteria applied then it's a level battlefield. Sure, with modifications here, there's quick thinking and reactions necessary, micromanaging if you will, but that's GAMING. Regardless, we're discussing moot points here anyway, for each MP players group will mod stuff for their own appeal balancing gameplay and historical ideals.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I have tweaked the firemod for squares in my next patch so their fire power is reduced alot and it seems to work.
Cool, the Inf Square will indeed display historical Nap characteristics now, with the inclusion of both MeleeMod and FireMod. With MP both sides play, this should work great.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

As Reb says the MP groups will tweak what is required after working out what works. All my changes are for single player since that is what we have at the moment.

My current thinking is to alter the following formations:
1) Line - increased fire power
2) column of divisions (attack column) - decreased fire power / increased melee
3) square - vastly decrease fire power / increased melee
4) skirmish - leave the same due to there being no casualty modifier, maybe slight decrease in fire power
5) march column - leave the same to give the AI a chance.

If i ever get a 2 deep line in the game it would have increased fire power over the 3 deep and slightly less melee.

For cavalry i prefer the squadron rather than the regiment being the lowest unit. This messes up the OOBs and makes the cavalry parts very large but ive never liked the idea of 500 cavalry charging a single unit.
Last edited by gunship24 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.