Armies of Italy OOB

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Armies of Italy OOB

Post by Jack ONeill »

The attachment OOB_SB_NAP_ArmiesofItaly_1809_SR8.csv is no longer available
All,

I am posting my first new OOB in an annoyingly long time. The Armies of Italy 1809.

Some background -

Contains the French Army of Italy under Eugene Napoleon (Adopted by the Emperor and allowed to use his name.) The Army stands as it might have been at the beginning of the campaign.

Contains some 48,000 men in five Infantry and two Cavalry Divisions.

The Austrian Army under Archduke John (Johann) has 44,500 men in two Corps, with several Divisions in each, again at the beginning of the Campaign.

Notes - I have left out the Italian Divisions units since we have no Italian uniform sprites. (Italian Infantry wore French-cut uniforms but were white instead of Blue.)
I have left out 1 French Dragoon Division for two reasons - 1) at the beginning of the war, the French outnumbered the Austrians by alot. I didn't want it to be too one-sided.
2) The french were scattered across a generous part of Northern Italy at the start of the war. The OOB reflects what Eugene might have pulled together in short order.

The Austrians may be slightly short on manpower but have solid Cavalry support and are somewhat over-gunned compared to the French.

The French Army was not organized into Corps until later in the campaign.

I recommend using a sprite ratio of 8. The Battalions on both sides are big, 650-700 men average. I have checked all the records I could find and these seem correct. Sprite ratio 4 just doesn't seem to work. I have actually whittled down both sides a bit based on my information regarding average "wastage" during campaigns.

Theres probably more to say but I can't think of it right now. :laugh:

Let me know what you think. This OOB plays well from both sides and works well on the original Alpine map.

Jack B)
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Re: Armies of Italy OOB

Post by Leatherneck24 »

I enjoyed the new OOB jack. I just got done reading Gills second book on the campaign of 1809 which goes into detail about the Italians. Nice to see the troops after reading about the Commanders and regiments they commanded. Just a few questions. I remember gunship made the new model for light infantry chasseurs. It seems the units in your OOB are wearing the 1812 Bardin uniform.

Also since we have so many new troops that Gunship created anyway you could create the OOB for Ebelsberg. Massena corps had a wide variety of troop such as French,Badeners(Wurtemberg infantry would do the trick), Hessians. The battle of Linz might be another good one for variety in uniforms. I will post an detailed OOB for both battles if you are interested.

By the way does anyone play multiplayer on the SOW. I am looking into playing online for my first time.

LN
Last edited by Leatherneck24 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

By the way does anyone play multiplayer on the SOW. I am looking into playing online for my first time.

LN
Nap MP play with the SOW engine coming soon with the next patch. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

LN,

Thanks. I know the book. The uniforms were from what we have in the Wagram 1809 Mod. Actually was looking at Ebelsburg last night. Would take forever to set up. Time is what has stopped me from finishing the Waterloo OOB. Yes, we have the Wurtemburgers, et. al. from the Gattehburg scenarios.

There is a thriving MP community for the ACW side of things here. Just check the threads in the multiplayer section.

Jack B)

LN - Am idiot. Was thinking about Eckmuhl, (the whole thing), rather than Ebelsberg. That IS a possibility. Will report back on that.
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

Jack,

Eckmuhl would be HUGE but the neat thing about the battle it can be broken down into different phases with the first attack on eckmuhl itself by the Wurtembergs in the light brigade to open up the way for the heavy cavalry to deploy. Then you have davouts and Deroys attack more north of eckmuhl. Then you have the final cavalry battle near the end of the night when the Austrians were trying to get away. In reality 1809 has so many skirmishes and battles it is amazing. I mean the Italian front had 3 major battles and at least 5 smaller combats with plenty of skirmishes.

Thanks Jack

Michael
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Hey Jack.

What's the protocol for downloading your file. I'm used to extracting rar. With your file is it simply a matter of cutting and pasting the file information into the mod folder?

Thanks, CJ.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

I opened up a new sub-folder in the Mods folder called "Nap Italian OOBs",dropped the new OOB into it and then enabled the Mod

I suppose you could have a general sub-folder for all miscellaneous OOB's (e.g.those brought over in bulk from TC2M) but doing them as individual mods does give better oversight and control.

Thank you Jack. Great effort. Waterloo inches ever nearer.

Geoff Laver Late of her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Conj,

Yes, just cut and paste, (or just copy it), straight into the Road to Wagram Mod OOB section from whereever you downloaded it too.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Thanks Jack.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gun,

As I always say - Thank You for putting in the time for us to enjoy this great period in history. I just wish I could get the Waterloo OOB to run right. I am about half done with it and can't seem to run down a glitch. Bah!

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"