Help for Cavalry Scenarios please!

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Re: Help for Cavalry Scenarios please!

Post by Thomas J Jackson »

No further progress. GB29 I have tried every which way. Different objectives in differing capture sequence. So far I can capture 4 of the objectives and then my men are all exhausted and continually attacked and get no further. Best score is 2838.
Just finished another try. Got 4 objectives, captured most reb cannon, rebs over 800 casualties, mine just over 400, killed Laws etc etc. My 4 regiments totally exhausted unable to make progress against the final 2 objectives. One of the objectives ( to the right of devils den -has 3 fresh regiments guarding it!!!!)

JC Ed says 'Its a piece of cake'; some cake is all I can say.

Will keep trying but to be honest it is only because I hate to be beaten, it is no longer any enjoyment banging my head against the brick wall.
I keep telling myself; the odds are 4 regiments of cavalry having to move (at some pace) between 6 objectives. Opposition somewhere in the region of 10 infantry regiments on higher ground, fresh and waiting for you. The cannon is easy so do not really count them.

I would think that most generals faced with those odds, terrain to cross etc would not win or even try as
the odds of achieving a victory is slim to none.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Maybe Sarge can give this one, GB29, another run and check out it's win-ability, he's the best I know of for this mission. Since it was designed the fatigue factors have been increased and this scenario could have gotten pushed beyond those practical boundaries. Thanks for the report sir.

A tip, start left then move clockwise around. This is the only way I could beat it. And like you're doing, capture all the guns possible within practical exhaustion range.

This one is supposed to be very difficult as per historical circumstances, as Farnsworth failed decisively with this mission.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

GB29 can be a micro-managing clusterf*ck. As RB suggested, start with the left of your line VP. If you want to attempt taking the rest clockwise that may be the key to your success.

Personally I start to the left and then go counter-clock wise and just push the enemy out and back towards Devils Den. Thus far my high score for GB29 is just over 4600.

But again, try the clockwise movement and let us know how you do. :-)

regards

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

GB29 Just finished another attempt- score 2806.

This time I kept a regiment near the right hand objective TC'd and out of sight.
I then took clockwise (as usual) the 2 objectives + guns. I then raced my general back to the right hand objective, used the fully rested regiment to achieve that one. Then brought my general plus the rested (but reduced) regiment back to devils den (where my remaining 3 regiments were waiting and trying to get from exhausted to at least winded).
I thought I had then taken devils den, which should have got me 3000+ if my calculations were correct.
then ran out of time. I assume I had just failed to get devils den as I only got 2806, must have been close though.
Still fail to see how the final right hand objective can 'ever' be taken with the fresh reb regiments on higher ground and my exhausted troops. I captured 3 reb regiments fairly easily.
The reb regiments guarding the 1st right hand objective (once you have taken that objective)then proceed the move across the map to attack you around devils den. This means you now have around 5-6 reb regiments actively attacking you 'even before' you have any chance to take the 'final objective.

Sorry for all the detail, but this scenario is way, way harder than the rest (for me at least).

I like hard, even very hard and the then feeling of accomplishment when you achieve a result is really terrific.

I am now going to issue my men with spare horses and portable gatling guns!! :)
Thanks again to All for your comments.
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Me again!

Just had a look at GB29 again and noted there are only 5 objectives (had it in my head there were 6 for some reason).
In my previous post I said I thought I had got devils den (then stated that as I 'only' got 2806 I must have just failed to win devils den). I can now see that I had in fact won devils den and achieved 4 out of the 5 objectives. This at 600 points per objective gave me 2400 plus 406 for captures etc.

Interested to know JC how to get a score of 4600? The 5 objectives give you 3000 pts where did you get the other 1600 pts? Has the scenario changed since your score was achieved, were there more objectives on the left side of the map 'or' more points for gaining an objective?
Clutching at straws now guys.

Update: Couldn't find additional horses or gatling guns, now issued each man with a Harley-Davidson, no more exhaustion and morale has skyrocketed :))
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I like hard, even very hard and the then feeling of accomplishment when you achieve a result is really terrific.
Well, you get my design intentions here, that's what Grognard is all about. Still, I think you've paid your dues on this one, when I get time I'll run it a few times and try to get that near impossible win, AGAIN, but that was 2 years ago when I was more clever. :unsure: :huh: :dry:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Sounds like you are getting the hang of cavalry tactics. Good job. Those skills might come in handy for the next release... ;)
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Many Thanks again Reb Sir. Hopefully you will get that win; it will spur me on to keep trying.
Persistence will prevail; I hope :))
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Update:

Thanks to All once again for your support.

Hooraaaay........just achieved score of 3213 on GB29. Not enough for promotion but a victory nonetheless.

Achieved all but the first objective on the right. All men pretty much exhausted so even if scenario extended
another 20mins would not be rested enough to get thru the reb regiments and take the last one.

Still have a cunning plan which may get me the last one if I can get my general around the 4th objective and rush to the last one in time. Thinking maybe to keep one regiment back at the start point rested and ready to provide the men to win that objective whilst the remaining 3 regiments (tired but victorious) can keep the rebs occupied.
Will let you know if I succeed or crash and burn :)
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Just finished GB29 with a score of 2978. I believe I now have the right strategy in that: keep one regiment near the final objective (clockwise from left).
Tried the strategy as I stated in my last post. I got my general to the last remaining objective and
was within 1min 20secs of taking it before time ran out. So close but no cigar.

Can feel it in my grasp.