Help for Cavalry Scenarios please!

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Re: Help for Cavalry Scenarios please!

Post by Thomas J Jackson »

GB29 score of 3403 so close. Captured the last objective with my score at 3510!!!

Problem was it was too early; Had another 3 mins to end of scenario and all my men were engaged and exhausted, losses and retreats brought down my score :((

Next time will try and time it just right to capture last objective right on the button.

Still I now know the correct way (what I mean is my best way of beating this one),

A much happier General am I. ;)
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Interested to know JC how to get a score of 4600?
Capturing most of the guns as well as a few retreating units. ;-)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Washington Post!

News has reached from General George Meade that his cannon fodder subordinate Thomas J Jackson has succeeded
in claiming all objectives in GB29 with a score of 4025.

When interviewed TJJ said it was a close run thing but good men, good discipline, and the good Lord was with us this day.

Thanks to All who have commented and given me encouragement to complete this scenario, never say never!

Montani Semper Liberi
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Congrats!

Now I don't have to run it again to check win-ability after our numerous patches since it was designed. A BIG Thanks SIR for hanging in there and seeing it through! :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

A big thank You, Reb.

Knowing it has been designed and tested by the best AND knowing that
this scenario (and all scenarios) can be beaten, gives much needed confidence to keep on trying.

Now got the Mad Ones top score in my sights ...:)

( I wish ! )
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I don't know why some folks frown on Cavalry in this game.. Learn how to use them and they are a blast to command. Fast moving, powerful, shock troopers. And there's nothing better than seeing them charge a unit and then chase them for several hundred yards as they run for their lives.. :evil:

Nice work, Jackson.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Little Powell wrote:
I don't know why some folks frown on Cavalry in this game.
The infantry cannot defend itself. The AI needs to learn the use of the square formation. Also, the cavalry need to be given a larger footprint so they can't form in sight of rifled artillery with impunity. In a real battle they made such a nice large target for the arty, they would be shot to pieces before they could begin an advance.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

As far as the square, the AI is only going to use what is available by stock. I know that mods use the square, but the stock AI will not react or use it properly.

Good point about the footprint and this will be on the request list, if it is not already. This is also something that can probably be changed in the statetables.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

As far as the square, the AI is only going to use what is available by stock. I know that mods use the square, but the stock AI will not react or use it properly.
Hence the reason people do not use cavalry. Make it stock. When cavalry approaches within 300 yd. a regiment attempts to form a square. There would be some probability that the attempt would be unsuccessful. The cavalry would not attempt to melee with a square. If they did, the probability of breaking it would be extremely small. There were a number of instances when squares were formed in the ACW.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

There were probably a number of instances of square in the ACW, but not in any of the battles we currently portray. The game mechanics are modeled from our releases. If you can find a confirmed account of an infantry square being formed at Gettysburg, Antietam, or Chancellorsville, by all means share it. :)