My first attempt at courier, and in the saddle. I must be doing something wrong. [Video Included]

Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

My first attempt at courier, and in the saddle. I must be doing something wrong. [Video Included]

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

The video below is my actual first attempt at trying to play Saddle, with Courier only, and I must be doing something very wrong. I think I am following the correct steps in sending courier messages. The video will explain it better since you will see first hand how I am trying to do it. Better to see with your own eyes instead of me trying to explain it.

con20or
Reactions:

Re: My first attempt at courier, and in the saddle. I must be doing something wrong. [Video Included]

Post by con20or »

Nice to hear a forum members voice!

PS - there's no way I'm watching a 26 minute video!

I had a look at the march column bit - you may be experiencing the 'time bug'. And yes, you can string orders together, just keep adding them.

Just to be sure,

Try this ordersequence.

1. Set up a sandbox as a div general.
2. Send a courier to a brigadier general.
3. General xx, Move your unit to yy farm, form your brigade into a line.
4. They should start marching.

Then report back.

Also have a read of this post by MTG.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/hits-h ... uide#39947
Last edited by con20or on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: My first attempt at courier, and in the saddle. I must be doing something wrong. [Video Included]

Hi con20or.

Yeah I know it's long (I never really expected anyone to watch it), but I recorded it from start to finish for the Noobs out there like myself. I figure if I can get this right then they can follow along by watching the videos, and maybe get a full picture on how to do it, it's pretty much a how to in a way. I have noticed that there are no how to videos on how to play this game.

Thanks, I'll follow what you have asked. There is one thing that I don't understand which brings me to three questions.

#1: Does courier work at Brigade Level, or only Division, and above?
#2: Which level of difficulty should I play HITS?
#2a: Would Historical be the proper difficulty?

Cheers con20or, and thanks for the reply.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

For simplicity, use the historic difficulty setting. It will use couriers at division level. That means that for orders given to regiments, no couriers are sent. Orders to brigades and above will use couriers. If you use Custom difficulty, set the distance to 10. That will put you in the saddle. Zero gives you unlimited range. Then set couriers to brigade. That will force all orders to regiments and everyone else to be transmitted via couriers.

Read the stickied AAR Courier Battle: Action At Trostle Farm. Although old, it will give you some useful information on how to successfully use the courier system. The stock courier layout is not very organized. Try a stripped down version of the Couriers & Map Mod: Just Couriers Mod
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

For simplicity, use the historic difficulty setting. It will use couriers at division level. That means that for orders given to regiments, no couriers are sent. Orders to brigades and above will use couriers. If you use Custom difficulty, set the distance to 10. That will put you in the saddle. Zero gives you unlimited range. Then set couriers to brigade. That will force all orders to regiments and everyone else to be transmitted via couriers.

Read the stickied AAR Courier Battle: Action At Trostle Farm. Although old, it will give you some useful information on how to successfully use the courier system. The stock courier layout is not very organized. Try a stripped down version of the Couriers & Map Mod: Just Couriers Mod
Thanks MTG, very much appreciated...

So I take it that Courier will not work when commanding just a Brigade then? Hmmm, okay I guess I had better get use to commanding a Division. You know it just occurred to me, why have courier at brigade level since your regiments are so close by. I don't know, I could be wrong though.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Hiya Mike

People have their own preferances on how to play HITS & Courier games.

Even in our MP games we are trying out various settings, especially regarding the levels of TC'ing allowed in the game.

Most of us play on custom settings with modded height settings to 2 metres. The ini files are changes thus:

[Custom]
ailvl=0
moralelvl=0
regstrength=100
plyrradius=10
courierlvl=4
minimap=2
MPplyrradius=0
MPcourierlvl=0
MPminimap=2

I do not use the follow function. You can assign a key to have the camera go to your commander or just use the GUI.

I won't repeat all the stuff that is already written in the HITS section of the forum but my advise is to start with brigade command and work up. Initially, set couriers to brigade.

I generally use point and click for ordering units but map orders can be useful with larger formations and artillery, particularly. I'm just getting used to this way, myself.

I intend to put together a few HOW TO videos myself, in time.

Thanks for your effort, and I did manage a whole 15.04 mins of your vid, anyone stay it longer? ;) :P
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hiya Mike

People have their own preferances on how to play HITS & Courier games.

Even in our MP games we are trying out various settings, especially regarding the levels of TC'ing allowed in the game.

Most of us play on custom settings with modded height settings to 2 metres. The ini files are changes thus:

[Custom]
ailvl=0
moralelvl=0
regstrength=100
plyrradius=10
courierlvl=4
minimap=2
MPplyrradius=0
MPcourierlvl=0
MPminimap=2

I do not use the follow function. You can assign a key to have the camera go to your commander or just use the GUI.

I won't repeat all the stuff that is already written in the HITS section of the forum but my advise is to start with brigade command and work up. Initially, set couriers to brigade.

I generally use point and click for ordering units but map orders can be useful with larger formations and artillery, particularly. I'm just getting used to this way, myself.

I intend to put together a few HOW TO videos myself, in time.

Thanks for your effort, and I did manage a whole 15.04 mins of your vid, anyone stay it longer? ;) :P
haaa, last line is funny. I know it's boring, hell it bored the crap out of me. :laugh:

Please do make the HOW to video's, I'll watch them.

Okay thanks for the info above, I can use all the help I can get, and right now it appears I need allot of it. :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Mike wrote:
So I take it that Courier will not work when commanding just a Brigade then? Hmmm, okay I guess I had better get use to commanding a Division. You know it just occurred to me, why have courier at brigade level since your regiments are so close by. I don't know, I could be wrong though.
You can use courier orders to move individual regiments, I even started writing an AAR to cover that. But it is a cumbersome and not very precise method. It is far easier to use the point and click method and the command buttons that you are already familiar with. Although my mod has orders specifically created to move regiments around, the whole system is really designed for moving entire brigades and even divisions. Since you prefer commanding at the brigade level, I'd suggest you just stick with point and click.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Mike wrote:
You can use courier orders to move individual regiments, I even started writing an AAR to cover that. But it is a cumbersome and not very precise method. It is far easier to use the point and click method and the command buttons that you are already familiar with. Although my mod has orders specifically created to move regiments around, the whole system is really designed for moving entire brigades and even divisions. Since you prefer commanding at the brigade level, I'd suggest you just stick with point and click.
Thanks MTG.

I guess I had better learn to command a division then because if I ever hope to play online with the rest of the guys for HITS, I had better learn.

Thanks again MTG, very much appreciated.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Mike wrote:
I guess I had better learn to command a division then because if I ever hope to play online with the rest of the guys for HITS, I had better learn.
No need. There are quite a few long time players who still prefer to command only a brigade. In fact we recommend that new players take just a brigade to start since the restricted view is so disorienting at first. As we play with strict chain of command, a human will be your division commander. He will be able to help you with your movement and deployment and hopefully keep an eye on your flank and let you know when the enemy is bearing down on it. You'll be surprised how quickly your tactical ability will improve in that environment. Then you can start making videos on what you did right. :laugh: