Flanking fire so effective? Why?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
montecristo1981
Reactions:

Flanking fire so effective? Why?

Post by montecristo1981 »

I can understand why a unit would be unhappy bout being surrounded, so the morale bit i get - but im curious why a unit on your flank firing at you causes more damage than a unit right ahead of u...

Must be harder to hit a regiment that you can hardly see side-on than one spread out in front of u??

tnx
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Flanking fire so effective? Why?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The regiment doing the flanking is not being fired upon to any extent. For them it's target practice. If you were a defenseless target, what would you do?
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yes, and a flanking regiment can aim a whole lot better, inflict more damage when they aren't dodging bullets.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

So a better approach would be to decrease a regiment's firepower proportionately to the amount of fire (measured in casualties) they have taken in the last X seconds.
Last edited by Garnier on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

You need to learn something about linear combat.

Among many things, discipline was very important to maintaining proper alignment, rates of fire, etc. This was how order was maintained on the battlefield. Troops didn't have freedom of action to make changes on their own. In a linear formation officers had few options to being flanked. They would call up support, refuse a portion of their line or fall back. When you fired at a linear line from head on you could hit one or two guys, that is the first or second line. When you fired at a linear line from the side you could possibly hit any one of a hundred men depending on the elevation of the rifle. The hit percentage was greatly increased. Also, troops receiving fire from the flanks became unnerved very easily and would not stand for long in that type of fire.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Interesting - I didn't know this either and had wondered about it.
achilles
Reactions:

Post by achilles »

"im curious why a unit on your flank firing at you causes more damage than a unit right ahead of u..."

This is a principle that applies to combat today as well (interlocking fields of fire). Think of it this way- if you are shooting at a line parallel to you, your bullet either hits the man in front of you or misses completely. Now if you are shooting at a line roughly perpendicular to you, your shot might hit your target, or it might miss and hit the man to his right (behind him from your perspective) or the man to his right, and so on and so on. Your chances of hitting some part of the line with any given shot are far better when you are facing them at an angle. Its the same deal today- you are better off with two machines guns straight in front of you than you are with one at your 10 and one at your 2. Thats a kill box.