Concept of New Features

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Concept of New Features

Post by Davinci »

That our AI troop movements look stupid sometimes and that takes away from the realism.
I don't think that anyone that plays this game would say that!

I think that a few minor improvements would go a long way with adding to the realism of the game.

We all understand that you are the only one that is programming the game, so there are no complaints there.

But, realism should come before eye-candy every-time.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

More AI courier feedback is what I'd like to see most - I think most of the HITS guys agree on that? Where are you, how many enemy do you see, where are they going, are you winning or losing, etc.
con20or - Yes, I agree that that would be a nice feature to have in the game.

davinci
Yes, that's top of my list too.

Martin
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I was trying to explain the concept of new feature choices with this post, not try to get a voting for what people want most. I am hopefully going to do something I want to do this time. I find that I spend so much time coding what other people want, that I lose enjoyment for myself. I want something in this game that is written the way I enjoy it. Since I first started coding these games, it's always been about listening to everyone and finding some compromise, yes I always insert my own opinion in there, but for the most part I write what other people want. I am going to get something my way on this next game. I've been trying to put in a couple of features since I started and I'm always taken off track by other's items. So I'm going to 'try' to focus on what I think will make the game more fun and make sure that I work on that.

I do think that the AI troop movement looks stupid sometimes and I just saw some hints of that in people's posts here. I want it perfect, so it's a challenge to me to make it that way. I am not talking about a feature, but rather a fix. I have not changed that in a while, not since we first put it in with the goal to not march threw each other as much. One problem working on your own is that I am constantly having to invent my own methods of doing this stuff. I'm sure other's have worked on these problems and probably done a better job than me, but by myself I have to discover and invent my own methods.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Norb,

I want you to create another great Civil War game. A lot like SOW, but better.

Also, since this is my idea, I demand 50% of everything.

Thanks,

Frank Lloyd Wright
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

Frank Lloyd Wright was terrible with money, and at different times in his life was dependent on the largess of patrons and even girlfriends.

Norb, don't do a deal with him. He'll squander the money.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

In touring his house I found out that he didn't put enough rebar in the concrete. He didn't like using it, yet he has a ton of unsupported concrete structures. So over the years the engineers are having to slowly replace all the concrete with a better design made to last. It's an amazing house, but crazy expensive to maintain and falling apart.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

In touring his house I found out that he didn't put enough rebar in the concrete. He didn't like using it, yet he has a ton of unsupported concrete structures. So over the years the engineers are having to slowly replace all the concrete with a better design made to last. It's an amazing house, but crazy expensive to maintain and falling apart.
It was the coder's. . . errr. . . builder's fault.

Frank Lloyd Wright.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

I haven't given this much thought but I'll take a stab at something I personally would like to see.

First, have a way to broadcast the game like something along the lines for Halflife for spectators only without the graphics so to speak.

Instead of showing the actual battle taking place, each spectator would see via the built in player something along the lines of a replay instead so minimal bandwidth is being used, and it gets updated every few seconds, or is updated immediately.

Change the replay graphics to painted table top figurines instead of the blocks we already have. PLEASE do something with the replay graphics...

Cheers.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Reactions:

Post by Scott »

One aspect I always thought missing in the game series since the beginning, was the ability for troops to entrench when they were holding a position. After 1863 (when spade shovels were able to be massed produced, instead of each being made by a smith by hand), it was pretty much standard for troops to begin entrenching their positions immediately upon stopping/holding.

I have some more thoughts to add, but i need to collect them when I have more time. I wanted to throw that out there though, and also so Norb would know I finally got access to the forum. Thanks Norb ! :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Norb wrote:
I do think that the AI troop movement looks stupid sometimes and I just saw some hints of that in people's posts here. I want it perfect, so it's a challenge to me to make it that way.
In my experience, much of that is due units positioning themselves too close to one another. Players, myself included, are mostly to blame, deploying their brigades so that they interfere with one another as they try to maneuver to deploy in the most favorable way possible. The AI is also guilty of this but not to quite the extent as us humans. The favored formation is line. All AI commanders, regardless of style eventually bring their entire brigade into line to maximize fire. That is an enormous amount of real estate. I have recently been experimenting with deliberately spacing my brigades with this in mind, adding one or two regiment widths between the brigades for good measure. The whirling and swirling nearly disappears.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.