New Version for SP and MP

mitra76
Reactions:

Re: Beta - New Version for SP and MP

Post by mitra76 »

THis is the passage from Duhesmes, sorry the english translation is not perfect:

"
I think also that, if at the battle of Sainte-Euphémie our battalions in closed columns, and deployed, as far the ground permitted this, in chessboard form, they were preceded by swarms of skirmishers who should have already start to hit the enemy ranks and on approaching, the head of columns should start to run, the english line would not have maintained the same cool blood which permitted them to shoot so well and precise and sure they will not have start to shoot so late if our skirmishers would have to hit them before. We will note also that if our columns would not be deployed (in line) they would not have suffered so much, because the advantage of closed columns over the musket fire is that only the first line suffer and it is not extended. But it is very hard for the officiers to obtain to have to march for long time in closed columns. We can tell there is a sort of magic which let them stop and deploy (in line) under the more deadly fire, like trying to maintain the grip, exactly when it would be necessary, at place to slow the movement, to accelerated and launch the soldiers ina runnign step. I saw almost all the routs start like this: if on must deploy it should be better do this in advance, but it is difficult to let march for long time a regiment in battle line: also if few obstacles are present and the losses are fews, the wings tourn aways the centre shatter, and voilà my battalion is in rout. In these moments of actions, the bravest launch themself before the others, the rest remains back and on lost the alignment, the officers scream, others where the first to advance with part of their platoon, and we arrive with some much disorder that, if the enemy holds we cannot do anithing to him. In a close column platoon the commander manage the men better, the only danger is the artillery, but the comamnder can use better the ground covers for pass the zones more dangerous; it is possible also deploy in line if necessary , but on return in column for approach the enemy. I recommend the soldiers must familiarize with these movements and do it running. All the movements must be done running, the battalion will be close in column with rapidity.
"
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

I really like the Wurtemburgers! More confederation rhine members the better! I am ready to play anytime so let me know guys. Probably around 9 pm Eastern time would be best.

Jack the skirmish mod what will the ranges be? The wurtemberg jaegers I believe they were all armed with a rifled musket and even some rifles I believe which still had better distance and accuracy. If we can either make the ranger longer or faster rate of fire then having a whole battalion in skirmish order would be worth it and would be a pretty big pain to the enemy.

By the way what is all this talk about closed column and getting rid of it? I have both Scott bowden 3rd corps campaign diaries and 1806 campaign books and they explain many of the different formation used during each battle. For instance one battalion of the 13th legere charged austerdtat in closed column while the other was in line with the rest of the division in column de division. Getting rid of formation that was used in the actual combat makes no sense. Just like in real life you have to adapt to the certain situation and overcome your enemy. I would just redeploy my arty and send solid shot into the formation and or send in the cavalry to charge the formation and force them into square while my arty batters them.

I look forward to playing and hopefully we can get a dedicated group together. I cant wait to send messengers calling for reinforcements to another player. B)

Michael
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

M - Dead on! I have read this passage but couldn't remember who said it. Dude, never, ever worryh about the translations - we can figure this out. ;)

LN - My musket range Mod goes like this -

Basic muskets on all sides - 100 yards max range.
Skirmisher muskets - Voltiguers, basic Light Infantry Cos, etc. - 120 yards.
Baker Rifles - 150 yards.

Reasoning - Lots of information on the incredible inaccuracy of the average smoothbore musket over 50 yards, BUT it could still hit a large group of men, (mostly), at 100 yards or so. So, 100 yards max range.

Skirmishers - were generally recruited from men in the line companies who could actually shoot and actually had used muskets for game hunting and such. (This is a generalization, but y'all get my point). Therefore, they could reasonably be expected to HIT their targets. So, slightly longer range - 120 yards.

Riflemen - Tough soldiers really trained to use a rifled weapon. They could really hit a target at 300 yards. HOWEVER, the Baker Rifle took FOREVER to load, compared to a smoothbore musket. Balance - 150 yards, (Gunship gave them 140 yards), effective range vs. slower rate of fire. A good compromise, I think.

Notes - Yes, the Wurttemberg Light troops had a number of rifled weapons in their companies. Again, rifled weapons of the day took forever to load relative to a smoothbore. Also, do we know how many rifled weapons were in each company?
Austrian Tyrolean Jagers carried Air-Rifles at one point. (Yes, Really). Thier NCOs and Officers carried rifled weapons, but that was all. The Air-Rifles were very effective, but very difficult to maintain under field conditions. So, in the Mod/Game they get Skirmisher muskets.

I think, when we get to it, the Wurttembergers could go with skirmish muskets with 120 yard range. The REAL trick is to use skirmishers effectively, which, right now, requires hands-on paying attention. Can't leave them alone. If they are not TC'd, they bug out for no reason. If they are TC'd they won't fall back fast enough and get shot to crap. However, they WILL do the job of pissing off the enemy and forcing them to deploy or move off the line to swat them away.

Finally, Columns of Assault are not going anywhere. HA!

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

I did a little test; I set the keep form value for the column of divisions formations at the various level and I have set as marching formation for the brigade level the level5 column of division. Now the brigade AI move when near the enemy, using the column of division at place of marching column and swtich to line for fight.
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

This 7z file won't open on my computer. I don't know why, I have opened other 7z files before. I have a zip opener, but I don't know why it won't open this one. I have FYZip
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

try winrar
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

could be corrupted download, try downloading again.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Bump

This is the version most are using for MP right now (and I expect SP too)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: New Version for SP and MP

Post by Little Powell »

Cavalry was changed in the 1.6 patch so they might act differently now.
Just want to note; this change only affects the cavalry's probability to retreat. Pre-1.6 patch, cavalry would fight a little, fall back, re-group, fight some more. Now they will stand and fight a lot longer and are generally more enjoyable to command. :)

It was an absolutely necessary fix for our upcoming map pack.. ;)
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.