Re: Screenshots of Wagram 1.6 Edition

Post by gunship24 »

Looking good, thanks for sharing :).
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Thanks.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Mike,

Excellent. Thank you.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The Brandy Station map is great for Nap battles, no rail fences, not too many American buildings and some that are around look a little European and lots of rolling grassland and woodlands.

Fantastic battle tonight, 4 of us vs the AI. We used MTGs new brigade deployment drills file which makes the AI and player brigades put out skirmishers and the battlefield looked a lot better for it. We also deployed our four big divisions along a wide frontage so that we all had acres of open space between commands and sometimes between units. It looked very good.

Cuirasiers destroying an Austrian battalion:

Bavarian artillery supporting a French line. Voltigeurs skirmishing on the right. Lots more Bavarian infantry in the left distaance.

A German civil war, almost.

Voltigeurs skimishing in defence of the French line.

An Austrian attack screened by skirmishing flankers. Wurttenburg artillery on the right.

Another view of the enemy division-strength attack.

And the left hand end of the same attack.

French artillery in action. Bavarian infantry waiting in reserve.

French fusiliers advance.

Combat down in the valley.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Tank,

Nice pics and a great game.

I have to agree, the rolling hills and open landscape made for a real cinematic experience. I was in no doubt that I was defending Bavaria from Archduke Charles's 'Kaiserlick' hoards! :laugh:

MTG's skirmisher formations and drill changes played very well. It was a real step forward being able to use light infantry effectively and even have the AI deploy skirmishers.

I meant to ask, was there any changes to the drills to make the AI use column of attack (Columns of Division) more often? I saw more of these than usual, and it looked so good. I know that Mitra changed some drill values to make the AI use Div Column (at brigade or Div level, not sure which) when approaching the enemy.

Also, it would be interesting to know what the Austrian CinC's stats and style was? Perhaps, more co-ordination and aggression on the AI acccount might have pressured our whole line more.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Grog wrote:
I meant to ask, was there any changes to the drills to make the AI use column of attack (Columns of Division) more often? I saw more of these than usual, and it looked so good. I know that Mitra changed some drill values to make the AI use Div Column (at brigade or Div level, not sure which) when approaching the enemy.

Also, it would be interesting to know what the Austrian CinC's stats and style was? Perhaps, more co-ordination and aggression on the AI account might have pressured our whole line more.
I added the attack columns just recently. The AI makes use of them when moving cross-country. The human players have to manually select it still. On shortcoming is that once the AI orders the units into line, they will always stay in line formation when moving around the battlefield. Hopefully the next version of the game will be more flexible in this regard.

The Austrian stats were very good. The corps and division commanders were all highly experienced and aggressive. They just fought the battle in typically incompetent Austrian style. :laugh: Had they thrown in their cavalry during the attack, we'd have had a real bad day. And they had a lot of cavalry to throw in.

I also thought the battle went very well. Spreading out on a very wide front where each division had plenty of room for maneuver made it much easier to fight the brigades without constantly running into other friendly units. We need to practice this more often.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yup. I've been saying for a while that we deploy with our brigades and divisions too close together. I recall Jack always moaning about the infantry pirouetting all over the place looking for a clear path to their destination. That is caused by having units too close to each other.

It doesn't help that the AI simply ignores human commanded formations and will push its units through yours. I hope a subsequent version of this game introduces formation boundaries so that brigades and divisions can't intermingle without a specific forced instruction to do so (such as when times are desperate).
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

My opinion is that the AI units operate a whole lot better if they are under the same Corps Commander with multiple divisions.

I've tried placing them in different Corps but have only had a few real-good battles.

Basically, with different Corps, they act sort of like armies that have no idea about the other units within their own army.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

great pic :).

I like the Wagram units.