TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

Post by ironsight »

On late July 3, the thunderstorms started to roll in which is common knowledge.
The first and the second were just plain overcast from what i gathered from the link, hot & muggy, typical before a storm in that part of the country.

Amish John, don't know how you find this stuff but you're a wealth of information! ;)
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

Amish John wrote:
It's my understanding these flags remained with the commander of the unit, whether he was in camp or on the battlefield. I noticed in the W3DIIGB preview movie a 3rd corps, 2nd division headquarters flag (blue flag with a white diamond in the center), however, I didn't spot any corp or brigade headquarter flags. Since I saw the one headquarter flag, I bet NSD is one step ahead of us and is planning to use the correct flags for corp, division, and brigade commanders.

There is a method to the "madness" of the flags' designs. As an example, red is first division, white is second division, blue is third division. Infantry corp and division flags are rectangular, Infantry brigade HQ flags are triangular. First brigade is a solid color with the corps badge, 2nd brigade has a stripe on the hoist edge, 3rd brigade has a strip around the entire perimeter, and fourth brigade has a colored triangle at each of the three corners of the brigade flag.

While it appears NSD has the proportions of the regimental state colors roughly correct, the regimental US colors proportions still need to be corrected as we discussed in a previous post to be closer to an average 6 ft hoist by 6 ft fly. Presently, it appears the fly dimension is too big relative to the hoist dimension. This may not be true of all regimental US flags, but I believe it to be more correctly representative of the majority of regimental US flags.
John - just a note to say I have redone flags - they are in a different graphic format so look nicer in game and I made the US flag square. At the moment we have State flags and corps and divisional flags for the Union plus national flags for both sides.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

tim wrote:
Amish John wrote:
It's my understanding these flags remained with the commander of the unit, whether he was in camp or on the battlefield. I noticed in the W3DIIGB preview movie a 3rd corps, 2nd division headquarters flag (blue flag with a white diamond in the center), however, I didn't spot any corp or brigade headquarter flags. Since I saw the one headquarter flag, I bet NSD is one step ahead of us and is planning to use the correct flags for corp, division, and brigade commanders.

There is a method to the "madness" of the flags' designs. As an example, red is first division, white is second division, blue is third division. Infantry corp and division flags are rectangular, Infantry brigade HQ flags are triangular. First brigade is a solid color with the corps badge, 2nd brigade has a stripe on the hoist edge, 3rd brigade has a strip around the entire perimeter, and fourth brigade has a colored triangle at each of the three corners of the brigade flag.

While it appears NSD has the proportions of the regimental state colors roughly correct, the regimental US colors proportions still need to be corrected as we discussed in a previous post to be closer to an average 6 ft hoist by 6 ft fly. Presently, it appears the fly dimension is too big relative to the hoist dimension. This may not be true of all regimental US flags, but I believe it to be more correctly representative of the majority of regimental US flags.
John - just a note to say I have redone flags - they are in a different graphic format so look nicer in game and I made the US flag square. At the moment we have State flags and corps and divisional flags for the Union plus national flags for both sides.
Sounds great Tim. I'm glad to hear you had the time to do that. Squaring up the Federal Colors again shows NSD's attention to detail. The majority of those playing the game may not even be aware of the correct proportions, but we'll know.

One thing I'm not sure of, and maybe someone can educate me...did brigade, division, and corp commanders only have the unit headquarters flag with them or did the commander also have a national color?

So far we haven't heard if brigade flags will be implemented, but we can always hope. You can always design them in those "wasted" hours between midnight and 6 AM. :cheer:
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Flags are OK of every type as long as they don't block out the units.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I believe that Brigade flags would be very useful. If you can impriment that in the game, life for us would be mucha easier...

HINT, HINT, HINT...B)
Hancock the Superb
Farm Boy
Reactions:

Post by Farm Boy »

Will You Be Doing All Of The Flags The South Had At Gettysburg as well ??? I sure hope so ....

Farm Boy
Last edited by Farm Boy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel"
- Jefferson Davis inaugural speech on February 16, 1861
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

I believe the NSD team is going to save game play time by having all the Confederate flags pre-captured, furled and stored in the Federal supply wagons. :laugh:

Gets me to thinking though...It would be interesting to be able to somehow capture colors (I'm not talking about the whole regiment surrendering) and have the regiment whose colors were captured then take a large morale hit. In the GB history I've read it sounds like attempts to capture enemy colors happened frequently, yet I don't remember this action talked about or suggested in our forum discussions for a game play feature. How about if during a melee the side that won the melee won it by a large enough margin, and maybe with a random factor thrown in, the colors could be captured. Maybe the NSD team can start thinking about this.
Last edited by Amish John on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

That's an interesting idea, the small problem is that you give orders to a unit by clicking on the flag. No flag = no way to give orders.....:ohmy:

Maybe we could give them a ghost flag ..... hmmmm....

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
dale
Reactions:

Post by dale »

What would be really, really cool would be to have in the after battle summary a graphic of the colors captured by each side that day, with each regiment's flag displayed that was captured in the trophy column. Omnia gloria victori in Roman eagle days.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

dale wrote:
What would be really, really cool would be to have in the after battle summary a graphic of the colors captured by each side that day, with each regiment's flag displayed that was captured in the trophy column. Omnia gloria victori in Roman eagle days.
Yeah, that would be great. I guess the side that captured the colors would get extra victory points and the regiment that captured the colors would get a corresponding morale boost.