Question to the maximum number of troops and Sprites in a Scenario

Berg-Lancer
Reactions:

Question to the maximum number of troops and Sprites in a Scenario

Post by Berg-Lancer »

Hallo
I'm planning some scenarios from the Battle of Leipzig 1813. Before I start I would have to know how many troops and sprites may contain a Scenario here in Scorge of War(corps, divisions. Etc ...). With too many sprites and troops, for example, 2nd Manassas crashes.

I Look forward to news
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Question to the maximum number of troops and Sprites in a Scenario

Post by RebBugler »

Welcome Sir, and especially you're very welcome to contribute with scenario design.

Actually, you can design for as many troops as you desire. Folks then have the option to change 'Options' regarding sprite ratio. For the Nap OOBs, it appears that SR8 is popular for Army-sized battles.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

B/L,

Welcome aboard!
Just so you know, the maximum number of sprites, (right now, anyway), is 125 per single unit - Battalion, Regiment, Squadron, etc. RB is right, SR8 is probably the best ratio for army-sized actions, especially 1812-1813. Design away, all are welcome here.

Jack
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I have managed to get a fair few sprites on the field at sprite ratio 4. I think maybe 40K a side works fine (albeit slowly on my pc) without any crashes. So thats around 20,000 sprites. For Leipzig I would recomend SR8.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

I agree - Leipzig was not known as "the Battle of Nations" for nothing. What, 100,000 plus men on each side? There was Dresden, Kaja and one or two othre major actions in the 1813 Campaign. Huge armies for the time.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Berg-Lancer
Reactions:

Post by Berg-Lancer »

Hi and thanks for your quick responses.
What exactly do you mean by SR8 and 40K. (Resolution?)
Specifically I meant how many uniforms per page types are possible so the game does not crash. I know the resolution affects a lot!
1 ½ years ago I had for 2nd Manassas Napoleonic era, created preussiche infantry and cavalry sprites, with 3ds max and Adobe Photoschop 9th That was a lot of work.
Unfortunately, few of Prussia matched with English and French (uniforms, etc.) in a scenario, due to high volume of data.
Scourge of War is better and maybe I can do it here to tinker larger scenarios.
I have already created an OOB for Leipzig "Battle of Nations" for the game Auterlitz-Napos greatest Victory ". And the Map too. I know! She is "Huge" but this battle is irritating me. :woohoo:
I can take the OOB datas for this.
It really were a lot of soldiers there. Overall, about 500,000 together. :blink: 150000 and 350000 at Napo to the Allies.
So it is better to create only a few scenarios here. Z.B In the South (Wachau and Liebertwolkwitz) in the North (Möckern) and so on ..
I've played a bit with Gimp and Adobe Photoschop 9 and created Napos Guard Lancers, Polish , the Guard Lancers Rouge, the Guard Lancers of Berg troops and then Dragoon Guards. It's a quick alternative but it is not perfect, but I can show even once here and everyone can assess whether your own interest you.

viele Grüße aus dem Bergischen- Berg Lancer
Trapper
Reactions:

Post by Trapper »

Wow Napoleon 1813 campaign would be fantastic. Prussians, Russians and Guard cavalry would be very popular here I think. Looking forward to seeing your screens. Thanks in advance. :woohoo:
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

There is no hard-coded limit. Practically there are two factors. If you are on 32 bit OS, there is a limit of memory that can be addressed without causing the game to crash. Exactly where the limit is depends on how much other stuff you have running on your computer at the time. If you have a 64 bit OS, then the limits depend more on how much memory you have installed.

The second practical factor is the AI cycle time. If you have too many troops on the field, the AI cannot get to them all and you will have opposing units standing next to each other for long periods of time without fighting or otherwise reacting to each other.

SOW was originally set to play well enough with ~40,000 troops on the map at a 1:4 ratio of sprites to troops (SR4). So originally it would play OK with about 10,000 sprites on the map. We have done some improvements to performance since then but have never formally redone the benchmarks. So if for example you set the sprite ratio to 1:10, then an OOB with 150,000 troops would put 15,000 sprites on the map. It also matters how many battalions/batteries/cav regiments you have in the OOB as well.

There are a lot of factors. For Leipzig, you will have to do the specific actions separately, there is no way the game will run with 600,000 troops on the map.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Hi and thanks for your quick responses.
What exactly do you mean by SR8 and 40K. (Resolution?)
Specifically I meant how many uniforms per page types are possible so the game does not crash. I know the resolution affects a lot!
1 ½ years ago I had for 2nd Manassas Napoleonic era, created preussiche infantry and cavalry sprites, with 3ds max and Adobe Photoschop 9th That was a lot of work.
Unfortunately, few of Prussia matched with English and French (uniforms, etc.) in a scenario, due to high volume of data.
Scourge of War is better and maybe I can do it here to tinker larger scenarios.
I have already created an OOB for Leipzig "Battle of Nations" for the game Auterlitz-Napos greatest Victory ". And the Map too. I know! She is "Huge" but this battle is irritating me. :woohoo:
I can take the OOB datas for this.
It really were a lot of soldiers there. Overall, about 500,000 together. :blink: 150000 and 350000 at Napo to the Allies.
So it is better to create only a few scenarios here. Z.B In the South (Wachau and Liebertwolkwitz) in the North (Möckern) and so on ..
I've played a bit with Gimp and Adobe Photoschop 9 and created Napos Guard Lancers, Polish , the Guard Lancers Rouge, the Guard Lancers of Berg troops and then Dragoon Guards. It's a quick alternative but it is not perfect, but I can show even once here and everyone can assess whether your own interest you.

viele Grüße aus dem Bergischen- Berg Lancer
Hi berg-lancer i remember you from TC2M.

SR8 = Sprite Ratio 8:1. In TC2M it was 10:1. the default for SoW is 4:1, but in game options menu you can change it, or like TC2M you can specify it in the scenario file.

40K meaning 40,000 men in the OOB per side, which at 4:1 would equate to approx 20,000 sprites total. As for the memory requirements there is a limit to how many "uniforms" you can load into memory at once but i dont know what it is. I have managed to get lots of uniforms in at once, Leipzig will push to the limit if you want to represent them all.
Berg-Lancer
Reactions:

Post by Berg-Lancer »

Once Hi,

Ok, I think I'm going to once again dealing with the creation of the sprites.
Somehow I have the Prussian sprites here can accommodate.
I've seen the sprites are not specified in the texture file but are controlled by the plist files.

What shortcut key is still on the screen shots, I forgot that. And where the screenshots are saved. I can even show the Gardelanciers and dragoons of the 1813 campaign

I think I will create smaller OOB´s of the battle, so that the game runs well.
Scenarios are not possible, there are no maps of Leipzig so far.
No map editor!

Austrian, French and some allies uniforms already.
Missing only Prussia and Russia. Prussian I already have, I would have to create here yet.
(Years ssssssssss later..... :S )

Greetings mountain Lancer