How to Install Simcity 4 in Windows 8.

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

How to Install Simcity 4 in Windows 8.

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Okay, I finally took the time to get it working. The instructions below is what helped me get the game installed...

I had to mess around a little bit, but I finally got it installed.

First place your CD into the drive, or load the iso with Daemon tools if you have made iso backups of your original CD's.

DO NOT use autorun. Select Setup.exe, and bring up properties, and select compatibilty. Choose Windows XP SP2, or SP3.

Select Resolution 640
Select Disable Display Scaling
Select Admin rights

Start the setup.exe

Note: If you get hung up on switching your CD's (the install won't continue), then select Cancel Install.

Use explorer (not IE), and copy all the files on your first CD into a temp directory. Then put CD 2 into your drive, and copy the contents of the CD into the same directory overwriting files when asked.

Go to the directory, and select the same options for setup.exe

Start Setup.exe, and it should now install .

Once you get to the bridge screen, press ALT+F4 to exit out.

Apply the patch.

Go into your \Simcity 4\apps directory, select Simcity4.exe, and apply the sames settings you did for the setup.exe

Start the game.

Once in the game, go to settings, and set your resolution to your liking.

Save settings...

exit out.

Go back, and select the Simcity 4.exe, and uncheck the 640 option.

Play the game.

Easy Peezy... To figure this out it took me about 20 seconds. I love old games, now I am off to start downloading some mods. There must be a hi-rez mod out there somewhere.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: How to Install Simcity 4 in Windows 8.

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

To use higher resolutions not in the game setup, enter this behind your simcity4.exe...

-l:english -Intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900x32

Change the -r1440x900 to something you prefer. I set mine to 1920x1080x32