Peninsular Campaign - the French Army

Saddletank
Reactions:

Peninsular Campaign - the French Army

Post by Saddletank »

I'm thinking of organising a campaign set in the Peninsular and using SoW Napoleonic Mod to fight the battles. I have plenty of books detailing Wellington's army and the armies of Portugal and Spain but I lack a good source on the French. I know the French were continuously sending regiments to Spain and withdrawing them and the troops flowing into and out of the country were often dependednt on whether Napoleon was activiely fighting opponents elsewhere in Europe, so the whole OOB would be very fluid, but if anyone knows of a good source, whether internet or in print, please let me know.

Napoleon's brother, Joseph, set up as the Spanish king also commanded his own 'Spanish' army. I have no details on that force, so anything on that would be very useful too.

Thanks.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Zeke
Reactions:

Re: Peninsular Campaign - the French Army

Post by Zeke »

Well you can download my new oob pack that features the key battles between the Anglo British and French forces - If you look at the Vitoria OOB that features Joseph's Royal Spanish Guard!

GdD Nicolas-Philippe Guye Commander - Division de la garde royale espagnole de Guye

Guard Infantry

Col Chevalier - Infanterie de la garde royale du chevalier
1/Regimiento de granaderos de la guardia real
2/Regimiento de granaderos de la guardia real

Col Bouvard - Infanterie de la garde royale du Bouvard
1/Regimiento de guardia real Tirailleur
2/Regimiento de guardia real Tirailleur

LtC Vasquez - Infanterie de la garde royale du Vasquez
1/Guardia Real Voltigeur regimiento
2/Guardia Real Voltigeur regimiento

CG Marqués de Casapalacios -Infanterie de la garde royale du Casapalacios
1/Regimiento de infantería ligera de la Castellana
1/2º Regimiento de infantería de línea de Toledo
2/2º Regimiento de infantería de línea de Toledo
1/Regimiento real de Étranger
2/Regimiento real de Étranger

Guard Cavalry

GdB Jean-Baptiste Jamin - Cavalerie de la garde royale de Jamin
1 Sqdn's - Regimiento de Granaderos Hussar
4 Sqdn's - Regimiento de Granaderos Lancer

Maréchal de camp Alvarez - Cavalerie de la garde royale de Alvarez
1 º chasseurs à Cheval regimiento
Escuadrón de Guadalaxara Hussar
Escuadrón de Avila

Guard Artillery

Capt Lesrain - 1/Royal espagnol garde d'artillerie à pied x 6 Guns
Capt Desert -2/Royal espagnol garde d'artillerie à pied x 6 Guns

However if you want to look at other battles during the period in Spain you could do worse than look at the CARL site this store the Nafziger Order of Battle archives - thousands of OOBs including the Napoleonic era

Download the OOB finder here and click on the links in the Document -

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... 11/id/1277

Hope it helps

Zeke
Last edited by Zeke on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Tank,

Nafzigers stuff is brilliant. Every once in awhile he doesn't include numbers for units, but in the main they're pretty good. Gunship, Myself and Zeke have all done OOBs from the Various Battles in the Peninsula Campaign, so information should be fairly straight forward.

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Sir Charles Oman's old multi-volume work on the Peninsular War has masses of French OOBs. Probably a case for inter-library loans, as they would be pricey second hand.

Martin
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Sir Charles Oman's old multi-volume work on the Peninsular War has masses of French OOBs. Probably a case for inter-library loans, as they would be pricey second hand.

Martin
Yep Sir Charles Oman's old multi-volume work is an excellent source of information I have them... I amazingly picked them up in a local village Sale for £45.00 (Leather backed Hard cover editions) :woohoo: over £400.00 to buy them new!!! a lucky find. However they have since released new paperback editions you can pick these up on Amazon for a reasonable price.....Also recommended Napoleonic Uniforms: v. 1 & 2 by John R. Elting (Author), Herbert Knotel (Illustrator)superb pictures and features The Spanish Royal Guard but be warned can be quite expensive but if you are a Napoleonic buff like me well worth it. Also have a look for The Greenhill Napoleonic Wars Data Book by Digby Smith again a good source of OOB data and one of my all time gospels when it comes to the Revolutionary/Napoleonic period! - If you are an ardent table top gamer its a must have.

Happy researching!!!

Zeke
Last edited by Zeke on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulysses S. Grant
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Thanks guys, I'm ploughing thru Nafziger right now, and those lists will probably be enough. Things don't need to be super-accurate.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Got this for christmas:

The Peninsular War Atlas (General Military) by Nick Lipscombe

http://www.amazon.com/Peninsular-War-At ... ular+atlas

Not really read it through properly yet (sidetracked by ACW :) ) but it is a fine book and in my opinion worth its price, especially if you love maps, like myself.
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Got this for christmas:

The Peninsular War Atlas (General Military) by Nick Lipscombe

http://www.amazon.com/Peninsular-War-At ... ular+atlas

Not really read it through properly yet (sidetracked by ACW :) ) but it is a fine book and in my opinion worth its price, especially if you love maps, like myself.
Hmm just had a look those maps and illustrations look fantastic I think I'll be buying that! B)
Last edited by Zeke on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulysses S. Grant
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I ordered it a few days ago when I began planning my Peninsular campaign. It looks excellent and has been produced to support the Peninsular 200 events.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

For anyone interested, the HITS & Couriers group along with a few friends from the GCM group has started a Napoleonic Peninsular campaign, kicking off in June 1808.

So far it is the first turn (first 2 weeks of June) and already the Spanish generals are having fun trying to get their armies to just conduct a simple march, and also dealing with proud stubborn subordinates, while the French are active in Cataluna attempting to reduce some Spanish held fortresses and discovering the delights of a countryside full of miquelets.

Each team has a secure forum area for private discussion and a lot of the orders and messages are being sent over e-mail but there's a reasonable public area as well where the rules and maps in use can be found, plus as we go on, I'll be adding a broadsheet style series of event announcements.

http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/f40-nap ... r-campaign