Empire Total War ACW Mod....

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Trig
Reactions:

Re: Empire Total War ACW Mod....

Post by Trig »

Thank you for the welcome and the invitation.
I will definitely give SoW a try when I have a bit more time, so ending up modding it is not out of the question. :)

The main reason why we are still modding ACW for ETW in spite of difficulties, is, that basically we're stubborn, we're not quitters, want to prove to ourselves we can do it as difficulties have never stopped us before... Also, we have a decent number of players and fans who are counting on us to complete the project (shouldn't take much longer at this stage). But mostly, because the campaign play is a lot of fun and we like the game, so we're doing it for that one grand campaign we hope to play one day, that'll have everything we imagined in it. :laugh:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thank you for the welcome and the invitation.
I will definitely give SoW a try when I have a bit more time, so ending up modding it is not out of the question. :)

The main reason why we are still modding ACW for ETW in spite of difficulties, is, that basically we're stubborn, we're not quitters, want to prove to ourselves we can do it as difficulties have never stopped us before... Also, we have a decent number of players and fans who are counting on us to complete the project (shouldn't take much longer at this stage). But mostly, because the campaign play is a lot of fun and we like the game, so we're doing it for that one grand campaign we hope to play one day, that'll have everything we imagined in it. :laugh:
Certainly appreciate your message, I think you broke ground here, corresponding with that OTHER GAME :whistle: ...I believe it to be a first.

When or if you ever decide to venture this way you will be most welcome. You guys do beautiful work over there and your modeling skills might influence new approaches to modding SOW, and who knows, maybe even design. Whatever, the doors are open, and with new technologies always popping up, anythings possible in the world of modifications. Looking Forward... :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hi Trig and welcome to SoW.

I wasn't being critical of your groups modding efforts and if anything I posted came across that way I sincerely apologise. On the contrary as I said above I applaud the many 100s if not 1000s of very talented people who mod the TW games. I've bought every TW game to date and enjoyed them all to a greater or lesser degree, mostly due to the great mods made.

My thoughts were that it is such a simple and crude game under the hood that offers no way to simulate actual military operations and that's why it pains me to see so much talent wasted. Many modders, strangely enough are wargamers and keen to get historical research correct so it just confuses me more why they work on the TW engine which really can never produce a satisfying or accurate wargame.

I've played your mod but unfortunately while it looks great the gameplay is the same old terrible arcadey nonesense that TW is, plus your campaign always crashed 13 turns in, a fatal bug there that I never saw fixed.

If you do turn your hands to modding SoW you'll get great support from this community which, though small, is very enthusiastic.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Trig
Reactions:

Post by Trig »

Hi Trig and welcome to SoW.

I wasn't being critical of your groups modding efforts and if anything I posted came across that way I sincerely apologise. On the contrary as I said above I applaud the many 100s if not 1000s of very talented people who mod the TW games. I've bought every TW game to date and enjoyed them all to a greater or lesser degree, mostly due to the great mods made.

My thoughts were that it is such a simple and crude game under the hood that offers no way to simulate actual military operations and that's why it pains me to see so much talent wasted. Many modders, strangely enough are wargamers and keen to get historical research correct so it just confuses me more why they work on the TW engine which really can never produce a satisfying or accurate wargame.

I've played your mod but unfortunately while it looks great the gameplay is the same old terrible arcadey nonesense that TW is, plus your campaign always crashed 13 turns in, a fatal bug there that I never saw fixed.

If you do turn your hands to modding SoW you'll get great support from this community which, though small, is very enthusiastic.
Thank you for the welcome. :)

I know you weren't critical to the modding efforts, so no need for apologies. But I still defended our effort and the game it's invested in, as in the current stage of the mod it is starting to feel quite enjoyable, if you want a a full campaign experience. This is why I said, we're trying to circumvent some of the clunkier game mechanics with different modding tricks. And so far, those that actually managed to install it (in the current beta stage it's three different install packs, which not everyone can get working, will be simplified for full release), seem to be quite enjoying it. But, again, there's gamers with different levels of complexity requirements out there.

The version you played must have been one from before I joined the mod, as the current one I use does not crash at turn 13, the only crashes are occasional random battle crashes, probably to do with some performance hiccups, but a reloaded savegame enables you to continue fine.

Now, if ye asked me for a perfect game, lol, I'd say a grand campaign like Forge of Freedom with tactical battles in a SoW engine and TW's graphics. But as we can't have that, we'll have to make do with playing each separately. :D
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

I have to say, I love SOW and am a major fan. I have only played a few MP games as my clan and most online buddies are NTW guys. I am as well as I am part of the Lords Modding Collective. We made the NTW3 mp mod for large MP battles and Historical battles as well. I have been modding with them for a few years and would love to see if I can carry my modding abilities into the realm of SOW. I have never tried to mod SOW so If anybody is interested in giving me a run down Ill see what I can do. I am use to modding TW games with pack files and things very easy so would love to help SOW in any way.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

I spent countless hours on RTW and MTW, only a dozen or so on NTW and even less on ETW.

The realism mods really made that game (RTW and MTW2) but the best aspects of the games to me is definitely the campaign.

While there are definitely flaws to how the campaign runs the empire management is what appeals to me. I never really play battles, or not often. I like to take the ruler approach and try to put the right people in the right places and then auto resolve. The AI is so poor I get very little enjoyment out of the battles though I sometimes RP and play out battles the faction leader participates in while all the other generals are simulated. I do like the idea of only resolving battles that my "character" is a part of. That's one thing that I think SOW does really well on a tactical level, it makes you feel like your just one person in a much larger fight.
Col_McBroom
Reactions:

Post by Col_McBroom »

I've looked through the mods forum for a discussion of map editing, and haven't found it yet. Can anyone direct me to it?

IRL I use GIS (geog. info system) every day, and have been collecting terrain data for Tennessee, Texas, and other parts of the world where my little oil company wants to drill. If I knew how you-all were editing maps, I might be able to come up with a believable Franklin, Murfreesboro/Stone's River--even some of the high points in Forrest's Artillery.

First question is, what do you use to make the maps?

Thanks for listenin'...
Researching corn liquids chemistry since 1855
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

There is also the North and South mod for NTW. This mod looks good. It has a lot of issues with maps not working and gameplay had some bugs to it. Was not very fun for Beta release. They announced on their forums they were done modding it but I guess they are working on it now. When they originally said they were done I modded their game for me and some buddies to play and had lots of fun with it.

This was my little trailer for the mod I was altering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... hC8vi0Zpxs

I stopped modding the game when the North and South team started back up. If anybody is interested I will get permission again and show you just how cool you can mod Total war for a Civil war game.