32 bit or 64 bit Windows?

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

32 bit or 64 bit Windows?

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hey, how is it going?

I have been getting the itch for something new. I have never used a 64 bit OS wither it be Windows, or Unbuntu, and I am wondering what are the benefits of using a 64 bit OS (outside of course allowing to use mor e than 4 gig of ram, and allowing for smoother use of several programs being open at one time).

One more thing, everything I have is for 32 bit operating system which brings me to ask, will I have any problems using any or all of my 32 bit programs?

I'm not new to windows 32 bit, but 64 is a whole other matter.

Cheers.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: 32 bit or 64 bit Windows?

Post by RebBugler »

The RAM improvement alone is worth the step. Once you go beyond 2 GBs, you'll NEVER go back. I haven't had many problems on the software side, sure, lost a few old apps, but the newer editions, with usually free updates, are better anyway. Hardware, yes, be prepared to gradually junk the old, in with the new, but most folks do this pretty frequently anyway, as the technology races on and games tap in to the newest and best advancements.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

The RAM improvement alone is worth the step. Once you go beyond 2 GBs, you'll NEVER go back. I haven't had many problems on the software side, sure, lost a few old apps, but the newer editions, with usually free updates, are better anyway. Hardware, yes, be prepared to gradually junk the old, in with the new, but most folks do this pretty frequently anyway, as the technology races on and games tap in to the newest and best advancements.
Thank you RB. What you wrote is what I have been reading on other tech websites. One quick question, is SOWgb optimized for 64 bit (I sure can use the boost)?

Oh one more thing, when you upgraded, did you find any performance increases in running software?

Many Thanks RB.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

64 bit will run everything faster. You'll definitely notice a performance increase with the game.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

64 bit will run everything faster. You'll definitely notice a performance increase with the game.
Thanks LP.

The reason why I ask these questions here instead on other forums, or blogs etc is because I have been here so long that I come to trust your opinion. I swear true story... :)

I'm now in the process of downloading all hardware 64 bit drivers for my system before I make the jump, now that could take awhile.

Again, thanks LP, and RB!
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Manning
Reactions:

Post by Col. Manning »

Well, angels won't sing when you make the switch, :lol: but it has many advantages and it runs 32 bit programs just fine. I'm currently in the process of setting up a small home recording rig, and I'm moving to a 64 bit workflow to take advantage of the extra RAM. I'm beginning to see a few more native x64 programs than there were a few years ago, and it's only a matter of time before it is the standard, IMO.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

My 16GB of RAM is pretty darn enjoyable... but with that said I'm not sure I've run anything that requires more than 8, I'm pretty sure I've never come close to engaging even half my RAM. If I have it's during Video Rendering when my CPU bumps up to 80-90%.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hi.

Thanks guys for the help. I guess I'll start installing.

Again Thank You.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Mike,

I am getting the best of both worlds.

I have my drives highly partitioned. I have Windows XP 32-bit on one partition and Windows 7 64-Bit on another. Like having two computers.

I use Windows 7 for gaming to utilize the full 16 GB RAM but still use the faithful, dependable old XP for much of the routine stuff. I can still use the old programs and equipment.

Only takes a couple of seconds at bootup to say which OS you want to use.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah I do the same thing. I have XP for older apps and software that runs better on XP (sound recording software etc.) and Win 7 for games, multimedia, graphic design, etc.