Great Campaigns of the Civil War - Update: Atlanta OOB Pack released!!

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Zeke
Reactions:

Re: Great Campaigns of the Civil War - Update: Atlanta OOB Pack released!!

Post by Zeke »

Saddletank is right Captain George I would love to see a few Atlanta maps but you have to respect the developers right to earn a bit on royalties for all their hard work and endeavour. There are plenty of stock maps now - I generally use the pipe creek maps for the Western battles B)

I still plan to do some updates to this pack but due to other commitments my time has been rather tight of late - i.e I'm getting married in the summer (so busy and broke! :blink: )

Great to see plenty of new stuff our there can't wait to see the American War of independence and 'other' projects :whistle:
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
boogabooga51
Reactions:

Post by boogabooga51 »

I tried the Atlanta OOB pack and I loved it. It is great to have Western theater in SOW.

One suggestion:
The top command of the Union Army in any one OOB should be either the Military Division of the Mississippi (Sherman), or The Army of the Cumberland (Thomas). Trying to pay homage to both results in too many characters and makes some of the info screens difficult to read.

Also, I really miss the commander portraits. Given that many are available on Wikipedia, how would one go about creating them for SOW if they have GIMP?
Anderson
Reactions:

Post by Anderson »

Hi,

Quick question...

Can these mods be played with just the standalone version of Chancellorsville? Updated and such of course.. as per your instructions..

Thanks,
All the best,
Kip.
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Hi Anderson

A good question, in theory yes they should play....However I have never tried it personally.

regards

Zeke

Ulysses S. Grant
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

I tried the Atlanta OOB pack and I loved it. It is great to have Western theater in SOW.

One suggestion:
The top command of the Union Army in any one OOB should be either the Military Division of the Mississippi (Sherman), or The Army of the Cumberland (Thomas). Trying to pay homage to both results in too many characters and makes some of the info screens difficult to read.

Also, I really miss the commander portraits. Given that many are available on Wikipedia, how would one go about creating them for SOW if they have GIMP?
A good point unfortunately the way the game coding is set up I was unable to separate fully however Sherman spent most of his time with the largest army which was the Cumberland. It's important to note that the Military Division of the Mississippi wasn't a marching Army but in reality just a administrative division of the US Army commanded originally by Grant and then by Sherman all the fighting was done by the three armies of the Cumberland (under Gen. Thomas) Ohio (under Gen. Schofield) and Tennessee (under Gen. McPherson and after his death by Gen's Howard and Logan)- I've never mastered the portraits unfortunately I will one day get round to this B)

Ulysses S. Grant
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hopefully this will get you started, if not create another Topic and I'll try to walk you through it.

Find a picture online of the Commander that you are looking for.

Press the Print Screen Key on your keyboard.

Open MS-Paint - press the Ctrl+V keys.

Select the Select to draw a rectangle around the picture \ Crop the picture.

Save the picture to the Desktop as a JPG file.

Use the GIMP program to resize the picture too 90x116

Copy the CS_Portraits_LVL5.dds to your Mod \ Graphics \Toolbar - folder.

Higher Commands may use the CS_Portraits_LVL4.dds file. If this is the Union Army use the files for them instead of the CS_ files.

Add the picture to the next empty space.

Then just count the rows across and down to determine the correct number to add in the M-Column of the OOB .

The example picture below that has the picture hi-lighted would be 3-7 in the OOB M-Column .

The first row and the top row starts at zero.
The attachment CS_Portraits_LVL5.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
CS_Portraits_LVL5.jpg
CS_Portraits_LVL5.jpg (228.7 KiB) Viewed 188 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Greeting people Looking at doing a few more OOB packs

ones I'm working on at the moment include:

ReDux: Early Western Battles of the Civil war 1861- 1863 - includes Shiloh Day One and Day two

Overland Campaign 1864 - Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna and Cold Mountain - work in progress getting my head around how to mod and include the Heavy Artillery regiments

Franklin Nashville Campaign of 1864 - Half complete need to get this finished

Averasboro and Bentonville 1864 - Bentonville has always fascinated me.

So plenty to go at!!! Firstly working at a Master Mod that incorporates some of my favorite mods also wanting to look at commander portraits also

My congrats to the active modders still beavering away your work is appreciated :) - Nice to see some new maps Flags and even sprites. B)

regards

Zeke

Ulysses S. Grant
Olszowy
Reactions:

Post by Olszowy »

Zeke, I recently installed your Atlanta mod and am having some challenges. I get a whole series of "texture files not found" and "could not load sprite" errors. I get the exact same error with the Nasvhille/Franklin mod. I have Bulges and Flags XV on. I've not been able to get either to work. I know it is something simple, just cannot find the cause.
tominrichmond
Reactions:

Post by tominrichmond »

I get "level not found" when I try to load the Union Antietam mod.

Thoughts?
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Do you have the Antietam expansion pack installed? That error message usually means that the map is not installed.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863