Unhappy discovery about old vs new sprite packing formats...

Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Unhappy discovery about old vs new sprite packing formats...

Post by Davinci »

You have to do all the work of merging Zeke's mod with Gunships which is what I've been doing this last 2 to 3 weeks only to hit this brick wall. Testing is not quick or easy and you can get it to work in SP as I said, no problem.
Understood, I was going to try and do this without downloading the whole Napoleon Mod, but I guess that that will not work.

So, I'll probably try and download the Napoleon Mod later on tonight. Myself and Jack share similar problems trying to download from Dish.

Question - after you combined both Mods - you did say that it worked in Single-Player correct, without any errors?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I had to create my own mod to replace Zeke's, that is I combined all the csv's into one logistics folder, deleted the logistics folder from Gunshps Nap mod and then added Zeke's graphics, etc.

Yes, the two types of sprite work okay offline.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I'm guessing this is because textures.csv, required for non-packed troop sprites, is not allowed for MP modding. Still, non-packed sprites hit performance big time, so laggy MP play would result in unfun anyway.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

WOW , it took roughly three-four hours to download the Napoleon Mod, so I've downloaded both mods at this time.

I haven't combined them as of now, but I was thinking of combining Zeke's mod into the Napoleon Mod, instead of doing it the other way.

Or, is the Napoleon game designed to not alter those files?

Also - what is the OOB that you are playing on?

davinci
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hey, can someone walk me through the process of playing a Mulpi-Player game against myself !

And, no, I not into reading the manual!

Thanks,

EDIT Post :
..........................................................................................................
Tank - You are aware that some of these OOB 's from Zeke's mod I think but not 100% sure, due to failure of farther testing contains error's such as repeated names and missing weapons, correct?

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leffe7
Reactions:

Post by Leffe7 »

You should already run into the packed sprites error when you host a Multiplayer game with yourself as the only player.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Davinci, I am afraid I have come across a few problems with Zeke's 1800 OOBs, yes. I've been meaning to drop him a PM about it but I've been too busy doing other things.

I created my own OOB using the mod I made that adds Zeke's stuff as a mod to Gunship's mod. Because it uses the sprite classes I created in my own unitglobal.csv, it would unfortunately be no use to you unless you had my entire mod, though I'm perfectly happy to let you d/l it.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Tank , I know that you have a lot on your plate at this time trying to get this to work, but I think that I have a solution to see if the game will actually work with both sets of sprites.

This is going off of memory, but I think that it is correct.

Move , your entire Napoleon Mod [/b] to a temporary location on the C:Drive .

Move , the mod from Zeke to a temporary location on the C:Drive .

Move , your mod, or better yet deactivate your mod.

Now, Re-Install the Napoleon Mod so that it is a fresh copy of the mod without any changes.

Next, Re-Install the mod from Zeke so that it is a fresh install without any changes.

Now, Open Zeke's mod and Copy the entire Units folder into the Napoleon \ Graphics folder....The Napoleon Mod doesn't have a Units Folder , so this will be the only file with that name in the Graphics \ Folder.

You can by-pass all of the other files, except the OOB files. Place those in the Napoleon OOB folder.

Then, Copy the files that I have posted below that combines both mods into the Napoleon \ Logistics folder .

This will over-write some of the csv files in the Napoleon Mod, but that doesn't matter.

Basically, if this doesn't work, then just delete this Napoleon Mod [/b], and then move the one that you placed in a temporary location back into the SOW\Mods folder.

I meant to write down the OOB's that contained errors, but I didn't.

So, before you start a Multi-Player game to test this, you must first experiment with any OOB to make sure that it contains no errors.

Test the OOB from both sides while doing this by first playing one-side, and then the other side.

I'm guessing that the reason that this doesn't work is due to errors and not due to using both sets of graphics.

Note : I am slightly confused that some of the units that Zeke is using, have the same name that Gunship used in the unitglobal file.

So, I'm not sure if that will cause a problem!

Note : Here is my way of thinking about this : Instead of trying to combine the Napoleon Mod into Zeke's mod, or both mods into your mod.

I just combined Zeke's mod into the Napoleon Mod, since the game was actually designed around Gunship's Mod.

davinci
Attachments
Logistics_2013-07-05.rar
(48.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I didn't really want to mess with Gunships mod though, since that then means that everyone wanting to play MP with me also has to change the mod (they they cannot play MP with anyone else, you see?), rather than load another mod.

So I guess that solution works... but it doesn't work.

If as RB says the textures.csv file is banned from being loaded in MP settings then that's our culprit right there.

RB, can you speak with Norb and put in a request that textures.csv is permitted to be edited for MP play, please? Thanks!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I didn't really want to mess with Gunships mod though, since that then means that everyone wanting to play MP with me also has to change the mod (they they cannot play MP with anyone else, you see?), rather than load another mod.

So I guess that solution works... but it doesn't work.

If as RB says the textures.csv file is banned from being loaded in MP settings then that's our culprit right there.

RB, can you speak with Norb and put in a request that textures.csv is permitted to be edited for MP play, please? Thanks!
This engine is a done deal, requests are off the table. The solution is pack the sprites, this is also the best alternative for optimizing performance, both for MP and SP play.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...