Where's all the men?

r6751
Reactions:

Where's all the men?

Post by r6751 »

OK, I'm, new. I have a lot to learn.
I loaded up one of the missions made for sandbox, not by myself. I look at the OOB and see the Major General, a Brigadier General, a Lieutenant, and six batteries of artillery.

Under the big general I have listed strength of 91 of 92 men. The objectives require occupation by more than 200 men for a given time.

Where is the army? How could I hope to win with 91 men and some cannon?
Scott
Reactions:

Re: Where's all the men?

Post by Scott »

Likely you either selected only a brigade size in the options for sandbox play...or the oob you sected was a small limited oob, but I am betting you chose brigade size engagement, and it will randomly (I believe) select a brigade form the oob for you to control..in this case it was an artillary brigade. You can choose brigade/division/corps/and army size to play in sandbox with. You better have a good CPU though if you choose army engagement hehehe...actually most of th emaps are too small for a real good army engagement...you will get alot of overlap with armys.
r6751
Reactions:

Post by r6751 »

Thanks for the info. It was not a scenario that I made. Even so, wouldn't a brigade have more than 91 men, especially if there were a Maj Gen and a Brig General on the field?
Anyway -- whoever made the scenario made winning impossible.
I'll have to look into the sandbox design more to understand. Maybe there were some reinforcements yet to arrive?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Sandbox is fantasy play, non-historic except for it's OOB data, if that is historically based. Sandbox is not scripted, and can't be, so don't expect reinforcements. Sandbox gives you choices of which units to play. You obviously didn't choose a unit, probably left it as the default army commander and chose Brigade level. In this case it randomly gave you command of an artillery battery. For more control choose an infantry brigade up front, then you'll usually have enough troops to activate an objective, but not guaranteed depending on the brigade size.

Experiment with different choices, if you're partial to this type play, you'll find your groove. Lots of folks find Sandbox their favorite part of the game, it's randomness gives one infinite possibilities of play.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...