gettysburg 3D

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
dan1862
Reactions:

gettysburg 3D

Post by dan1862 »

will we be able to buy this game at a local walmart or game store
No Smoking Demoking
Reactions:

Re:gettysburg 3D

Post by No Smoking Demoking »

As near as I can tell from what I've read so far, it will be availible via digital download, I have not heard anything about whether or not it will be sold in stores.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

It may make it into gamestop, but I doubt walmart, we did that route once and it was not good. Direct download or mail order will probably be right away, stores may come later.
dale
Reactions:

Post by dale »

Ironically, your Walmart market was how I found out about the First Manassas game. I was browsing the shelves and saw the History Channel branding and I did a double take on it at that point. I bought the game and of course got hooked. Had the game existed only as a downloadable version I would never have been exposed to it. I guess you could say that I was a storefront shopper for marketing purposes--I needed to actually physically be able to see the box in order to buy it.

I have no idea where the break even point is on how many games you have to sell if you do go mass market/retailer. I am curious to how those break down in terms of money the actual developer makes. It would be a shame to have developed the superior product on the market and yet have a very limited market opportunity because of the choices of distribution/publishing/marketing.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I cannot say with 100% certainty, but this is what I was told.

To stay on Walmart shelves you have to do something like 1000 units per week, that's total across all stores.

CWBR lastest about 3 months on the shelves, never to be heard from again.

It's also a huge cut of the game, but that's not really an issue for us because as you point out, it leads to a lot of exposure. It's really the power they exert. They want the $20 game, unless you are one of the big boys. Or you have to go with a publisher that has their shelf space. We refuse to give into demands that go against our mission. MMG gave in and produced the $20 game, by the time people realized that it was a good game and not typical History Channel crap, it was no longer available. In order to get on shelves, we had to sign away all of our publishing rights to the game. They never used the European rights nor the digital download rights.

Of course if a publisher approached us and their demands did not go against our mission, we would consider going that route again. But honestly using a publisher has only been a headache. Just trying to get paid is more of a headache than I want to deal with. I'm actually working on getting my wife involved in this side of this business, so that she can deal with the things that I don't have patience for. She's better on the phone arguing than I am :)
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Something with that in women. My mom has the same amazing trait. My dad just says Hullo? Beep! "Dang that man!"
Hancock the Superb
dan1862
Reactions:

Post by dan1862 »

will i be able to get it by money order i don't trust the internet:(
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We will find a way to get everyone the game.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

norb wrote:
We will find a way to get everyone the game.
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today