"Winning" the 2nd Tutorial

PunkinsPuppy
Reactions:

"Winning" the 2nd Tutorial

Post by PunkinsPuppy »

Hello again.

As I continue to learn with the 2nd tutorial, I am still having difficulties with moving the units under my command. I imagine though that this issue will resolve itself as I become more comfortable with the UI (and moving that darn camera around) and learn a few keyboard shortcuts.

In any case, I am wondering if my approach to "winning" the 2nd tutorial is correct. I have tried several ideas: 1) keeping my regiments together; 2) sending the additional regiments arriving piecemeal off to support the other Union forces (as ordered); and 3) meeting the Confederate forces somewhere in between my initial position and the location of the other Union units and forcing battle. The last two seem to always end in disaster as my regiments are chopped up in detail. The 1st option has led to a draw eventhough I totally disregard what my orders contained and leave the rest of the Union army to its fate. There may be other approaches that will occur later as I try out new ideas.

I am playing with options set at "Seasoned" with no other changes. And, other than the occasional dispatches, I have no concept how long the scenario should last and what the objectives are. I appreciate that this is only a tutorial. But it seems the only lesson I am learning now is how to see most of my units routed in battle.

Thanks in advance.

BTW - The YouTube videos have been next to useless in providing me tips on how to play. They do, however, provide a nice feel to what the game is all about.
gwgardner
Reactions:

Re: "Winning" the 2nd Tutorial

Post by gwgardner »

I'm pretty much a newbie too, but finally did ok on the 2nd tutorial.

I brought the 3rd and 4th regiments in across the creek to flank the enemy. After they were routed, then I moved the whole brigade off per orders.
PunkinsPuppy
Reactions:

Re: "Winning" the 2nd Tutorial

Post by PunkinsPuppy »

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I tried what you suggested but it might have been in one of my earlier debacles. I will give it another go.

In the meantime, I have learned another way to lose quickly - sigh. I left my commander in no-man's land and he was killed - :(