questions on 3day carryover scenarios

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
gwgardner
Reactions:

questions on 3day carryover scenarios

Post by gwgardner »

I'm using the Bugles and Flags mod, on the 1st day of the 3 day carryover series of scenarios. Having a blast but cannot figure out a couple of things:

1) If I give orders to commanders at the corps level, the corps never moves. Just sits there. At the divisional and brigade levels, commands are followed. What do I have to do to order at the corps level? Basically I was trying simply to advance the corps in column or in line.

2) 'Attackmarch - advance unengaged unless melee' does nothing when I click on it either. I do this at the regiment level, but to no avail. How does this command work?

Thanks for any help.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: questions on 3day carryover scenarios

Post by RebBugler »

1) Characteristic of SOW, when the enemy is in the commander's LOS, large formations are stubborn to move. Try the formation then quickly select TCofficers. This will 'FORCE' the formation to move regardless of LOS. Use Atcommoff (TC off subordinates) to TC Off officers before moving again at the division or corps levels, or, to let your officers take over...they are very vulnerable while TC On, and useless.

2) Attackmarch can also be stubborn. At regiment level it works best when the brigade CO is TC On. Same thing at brigade level, TC officer then give brigade orders: Aattackmarch, destination, formation, then Run or whatever...run is definitely recommended since troops are very vulnerable in the attackmarch state up to melee.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

I am finding it very difficult to control both Hill's Corps and Ewell's. Perhaps too much micromanagement is my problem, taking control of regiments.

Finally I caught on (after RedBugler's suggestion above) that I could go to a brigade or division commander and use the 'take control' button to essentially clean up the mess I've made with regimental control.

How do you experts manage to control all corps without going bonkers?

Especially bothersome to me is my failure to properly manage large amounts of artillery. So far I haven't found out how to direct multiple batteries other than 1) taking control of each individually, or 2) using the corps commander to direct them all.
Last edited by gwgardner on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

How do you experts manage to control all corps without going bonkers?

Especially bothersome to me is my failure to properly manage large amounts of artillery. So far I haven't found out how to direct multiple batteries other than 1) taking control of each individually, or 2) using the corps commander to direct them all.
Not sure I'm an expert but my advice is don't try to totally control, instead just manage trustworthy commanders. For example, playing the CS side, control Rodes Division, manage Early's Division...control translates to micromanaging positioning with TC On by brigade; manage is orders, destination and formation...no TC. You go bonkers if you try to control everything, the more TC Off you have going on the better your units fight...TC On should be used for initial positioning and forcing engagements, once engaged, TC Off.

Regarding arty, the OOB structure of these full battle series provide for Arty Battalions, so movement of arty groups is fairly easy, still you must TCofficers quickly to insure individual battery cooperation. The most recent patches for B&F XII provide some new buttons on the Arty Bn CO's toolbar to help out here.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...