Using Artillery in Direct Support of Infantry.

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
pakfront
Reactions:

Using Artillery in Direct Support of Infantry.

Post by pakfront »

My tactics may be unsound, but I am getting success on some of the scenarios only by running my guns right up with my infantry and having them fire from there. Presumably the impact of grape and canister is the deciding factor. I have several questions on this front:

My gunners usually won't get as close as I want without TCing, at least 'til they get there and unlimber. Is this expected or is there some other way to get them there of their own accord? Is there an existing formation option that does this automatically so I can courier command a subordinate to adopt this tactic?

Is this practice ahistorical? I have read accounts of guns being right in the line, and even run along with the infantry in assault but I don't get the impression it was common. Where smoothbores used this way, but rifled guns left to the rear?

Is this a dumb tactic? I'm aware that the risk of capture is greater, but really, I rarely see guns captured.

edit: nvm, I probably should look through this sticky thread first...
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/comman ... lery#21727
Last edited by pakfront on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Using Artillery in Direct Support of Infantry.

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Guns, smoothbores especially were often on the front line with the defenders. However, artillery charges, where the guns advance along with the attacker were very rare in the ACW. That war was akin to the Seven Years War.

During the Napoleonic wars, light guns, 3 and sometimes 4lbs, often advanced with the troops. And of course horse artillery did as well. That was a combined arms war. The purpose was to get close and fire canister at close range.

In SOW, the guns will unlimber and begin firing when they get in range of the enemy. To get them moving again, you have to issue a "No Orders" stance first. Look here for some practical ideas on how to handle your troops while in a fight. HITS Guide

Good luck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.