The Red River Campaign 1864 – a John Bonin Production

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

The Red River Campaign 1864 – a John Bonin Production

Post by RebBugler »

_Red River Intro.jpg
_Red River Intro.jpg (356.08 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

The Red River Campaign 1864 – A Tribute to John Bonin

Authors and Contributors:
2nd Texas Infantry (John Bonin) - Maps (mentoring, texture and sprite sources from Louie Raider, Tim, Crikey, Jolly, Little Powell, Davinci)
RebBugler - Western/RRC theme, portraits, flags, OOB revisions, scenarios, and sundries
Little Powell - Map testing and preparation
Zeke - Original OOBs
con20or – Manager, quality assurance, final checks and testing
mitra76 - testing
Chamberlain – testing
Scott - testing

The Louisiana Battles of:
Mansfield
Pleasant Hill
Yellow Bayou

The Arkansas Battle of:
Jenkin's Ferry (also associated with the Camden Expedition)

The Big Whiskey map is also included with this set of RRC maps. Included for this map is a fictional Rebel SP scenario.

Two SP scenarios are included for each battle along with a sandbox OOB, plus, an 'all troops included' RRC sandbox OOB. Two additional scenarios provide carryover battles of Mansfield to Pleasant Hill and five MP scenarios representing each battle complete the sixteen scenario set.

Updated May 29th, 2014

Unzip and copy to the Mods folder:
Red River Campaign 1864

This RRC project began in 2011 when John completed the maps and he enlisted me to do some flags. I was overly eager to join up since these battles are close to home, my Arkansas roots. Soon came the Western themed toolbar, portraits, etc, but before the OOBs could be put together along came John's enlistment with SOW, explained by John below. Finally, some of the SOW team and I have spruced up John's long anticipated maps and are most proud to present this tribute to John, and through John an offering to the SOW community.
RRC_TJ_Courier.jpg
RRC_TJ_Courier.jpg (174.93 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
rudy
Reactions:

Re: The Red River Campaign 1864 – a John Bonin Production

Post by rudy »

Thank you and thank John Bonin for this gift.

I appreciate that you posted the messages from John as well.

From the heart.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thank you RB for bringing this to us.

I think John would approve.

David(jolly)
rclark14
Reactions:

Post by rclark14 »

this is very cool and thanks to the modders as always !!!
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Just tried the 'Yellow Bayou' map in Sandbox.

There seems to be a sort of rectangular Bermuda Triangle (good conflict of terms) or maybe a black hole, just where the road crosses the bayou ...... just south of where the bayou reaches the creek by the swamp.

Any troops standing just in front of this rectangle get their top half cut off !! No units whatsoever are displayed within the rectangle.

Troops marching along the road into the black hole are eventually seen to reach the other side once their cloak of invisibility is lifted.

I'm not very good at saved-screen-images but I will try if that will help.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks for the report Geoff. Couldn't find the bug, but I'm sure others will run across it like you have. Doubt if anything will be done with these maps for a while, possibly after our next release. At least that bug is not in the areas of the scenario battles, if it was I probably would have run across it with my testing, or someone else on the team.

Glad you got the big, 97MB, download accomplished, I remember reading where 60MB is your max. If you need smaller packets let us know, because you are indeed special to this forum...our most remote member who remains loyal despite a lack of technological services the rest of the civilized world takes for granted.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Many thanks to you and John!

John is indeed a gift that keeps on giving.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I just looked at the Map and couldn't see the reported problem, but I'm not exactly sure which spot to look at.

There are only a small amount of ways to hide \ restrict viewing that I am aware of, and both of these are located in the mapname.csv file.

1) The D \ Column

2) The E \ Column

There is a listing in the mapname.csv file line 16 Briar Patch that has a Visibility Radius of 50 while all of the other values are 500.

That would restrict visibility if any units are located in that exact spot.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Hi Reb, Davinci,

Love the new maps. As I play, I can almost can feel my feet getting wet in those realistic swamps.

The reported problem might of course lie in my graphics card but it re-ocurred exactly on the several times that I invoked the map. It looks from above like a grey rectangle that overlies a section of the map at about half-body-height. You have to be a bit elevated to see the shape of it. From ground level, edge-on, it looks more like a dark line across the screen.

I did play one large long game using the whole of the 1st Bull Run OOB and late on in that game I did notice that the aberation had gone. It is not large enough to be a problem and seems not to interfere with the game itself. Just for the record though, I will try to get a screen shot .... once I remember how to do it.

Thanks for your kind comments. I have now switched to a different satellite provider and get about six times the download speed for one quarter of the price. Now $50 a month (rather than $200 a month) with free night-time downloads; max 5 gigs a month. I can now cope with most downloads. Still have to run games though with 'save' set at 5 minutes intervals to cope with power blips. The miracle is that they keep the power here going at all.

Sometimes these evenings, Reb, I sit down with my beer (or two), read the newspapers from home and begin to wonder just which part of the world really qualifies as 'civilised' these days.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot

P.S.

Not quite sure if I am your farthest-flung subscriber ..... Australia, Antarctica, Dreamliner over the Indian Ocean, Orbiting Space Station perhaps. Even on Mars one day, when those poor buggers get taken there and then can't be returned ? Now that would be a challenge to get downloads.

I do wish though that more people would complete the 'location' part of the profile.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Well guys you have done 'Brother John' proud a fantastic piece of work....Thank you so much for releasing. Makes me smile every time I load up B)
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant