War of Rights

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
rudy
Reactions:

Re: War of Rights

Post by rudy »

yes, your maps look quite good.

But your unit graphics haven't really changed since TC (except for the recent improvements for horses), and are out of focus and have movements that are herky-jerky.

They look pretty hokey in todays gaming graphics market.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

If modern computers could handle the amount of troops we draw in 3D models, believe me we'd use 3D. The amount of memory it would take to create 50,000 3D troops would be astronomical... Commanding huge armies with thousands of troops is the core of our game, so we must use 2D sprites.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

If you look carefully at the site for War of Rights you will find that their battle maps are very small (1 x 2 miles or so). That is one of the prices of that level of graphics detail.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
24th Georgia Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by 24th Georgia Volunteer »

They both look interesting, but most games look interesting while they are in development. However, I can't judge it until they release some gameplay footage I suppose.
MacDonald
Reactions:

Post by MacDonald »

War of Rights (and Battlecry of Freedom) are FPS (and maybe TPS too).

So graphics for a FPS are prime.

By your logic, niche games with dated graphics are good, and mass appeal games with advanced graphics are bad.
You're almost getting it. If graphics are the be all and end all, games like Counter Strike wouldn't have been so popular for years on end, even when the graphics became very dated. Niche games with poor graphics can be very good games, and games with lovely graphics and mass appeal aren't always good or enjoyable.

It's the gameplay & the innovation that are important. These things are stagnate in the industry right now because of the tendency of developers to churn out the same old shit every year, like Call of Duty, which looks pretty but has tired mechanics.

Graphics have long been an overestimated part of a games appeal. I remember the developers of Halo saying years ago that people do the same few actions in a FPS over and over, so if you can't make that fun, the game won't be worth playing. They mentioned the graphics only in the sense that they complimented the gameplay.
Hinkel
Reactions:

Post by Hinkel »

If you look carefully at the site for War of Rights you will find that their battle maps are very small (1 x 2 miles or so). That is one of the prices of that level of graphics detail.

-Jim
Hello Jim,

well.. I have to tell you, that you are wrong.
We have ONE map.. and this is the Battle of Antietam. Our Antietam map is made in 1:1 scale.. with 4 x 4 kilometers in total. The whole situation is recreated like it was in 1862.. even the historical grave stones of mummas grave yard :D
Sooo.. the level of detail is huge. We try to be as historical as possible.

Here is a small view on some map parts:

And for those who are interested, you can follow the development on moddb, with the newest Field Report:

http://www.moddb.com/games/war-of-rights
Last edited by Hinkel on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Well hats off to you guys, designing a Civil War FPS that actually focuses on historical accuracy... That's never been done before, and I wish you the best. Graphics look great!
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Pretty impressive, I have to say.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

"I may break down and buy it just for the graphics when it comes out."

"Don't buy pretty games, buy good games"

"Graphics have long been an overestimated part of a games appeal"

"The whole situation is recreated like it was in 1862.. even the historical grave stones of mummas grave yard. The level of detail is huge. We try to be as historical as possible"

Like I said, I'll buy this game just for the graphics, even though I don't like FPS.

Wouldn't you like to wander around a gaming graphics world of the battlefield of Antietam that will have this level of detail, made by people who are really into the ACW, and who have made extraordinary efforts to make an engaging, near exact replica of what it looked and felt like on September 17, 1862?.

I sure would. Just imagine what it will feel like to walk through the cornfield and come out into the open on the other side. To actually stand in the sunken road. To personally stand in areas of defilade to gain a better understanding of why the battle unfolded as it did. To charge across the stone bridge while under fire.

With this level of "pretty" graphics detail. That's really very "appealing" to me.

And then the bonus will be to plug some rebs with my springfield.

Very cerebral.

OK, more like visceral.

Hurrah.
Last edited by rudy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

rudy wrote:
plug some rebs
???

Them's fightin' words!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

B
Last edited by born2see on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam