Quick Question to the Dev's...

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Quick Question to the Dev's...

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

I am wondering when you folks do release the new game will there be a demo?

Reason for asking is I would like to make a video of the game so I can post it for those warmongers out there who follow my YT channel when you do release it.

I'm not looking for an ETA, only need to know if a will be releasing a demo.

Cheers.
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Quick Question to the Dev's...

Post by Jim »

I would say more likely than not, but a demo has to be done after the main game is locked down and basically complete.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
reeta
Reactions:

Post by reeta »

Thanks
Enjoy the real success with 640-722 exam exam and cisco ccna online training programs and latest University of Saint Joseph. Also prepare for next level with quality EXIN questions and answers of sscp training.
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Hi folks.

How will cavalry charges be handled? And counter-charges?

Cavalry units, especially heavy cavalry, were key units in Napoleonic armies.

They should perform much differently than civil war horse units, IMHO.

Looking forward to the game.

Regards, CJ
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Gunship's RoadToWagram Napoleonic Mod combined with the KS Napoleon Mod gives you some pretty good cavalry battles. If amateur modders can get this performance from SoW:GB I have every confidence that Norb's boys can deliver us some awesome cavalry combat in the Waterloo version.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

I'm not referring to strictly cavalry against cavalry battles, per se.

What I'm curious about is how the game will handle charges against infantry.

Will infantry have the chance to form square if threatened before a charge?

Will there be some sort of morale check on infantry, especially disordered units, that will prevent them from forming square?

Will the victory points from cavalry losses and fatigue reflect the fragility and cost of heavy cavalry to ensure players don't use these units too much?

I guess I'm hoping for some different coding in Waterloo, and that the game won't be just the U.S. civil war, but in different uniforms.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I'm not referring to strictly cavalry against cavalry battles, per se.

What I'm curious about is how the game will handle charges against infantry.

Will infantry have the chance to form square if threatened before a charge?

Will there be some sort of morale check on infantry, especially disordered units, that will prevent them from forming square?

Will the victory points from cavalry losses and fatigue reflect the fragility and cost of heavy cavalry to ensure players don't use these units too much?

I guess I'm hoping for some different coding in Waterloo, and that the game won't be just the U.S. civil war, but in different uniforms.
Basically, yes to all of your questions. :)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

LP, thanks for that answer.

One of the limitations we've come across in SoW:GB while modding it for Nap games is that melee has to be a real melee where both sides take losses because the game's morale system calculates morale on casualties and especially rate of casualties. There are also melee animations that both sides go through. This creates one anomalous situation where, when cavalry charge a square they actually make physical contact and suffer heavy losses.

My understanding of square vs cavalry encounters in the Nap period was that there was very little to no contact and no real melee. The defensive bayonets of the square discouraged the horses from getting close enough to allow the troopers to swing their swords at the infantry. The infantry also tended to hold fire or at least fire only at enemy horsemen who were being especially threatening. The square became an impenetrable rock and like the sea the cavalry flowed around it for a few minutes then ebbed away to find another target or withdrew.

It wasn't a melee at all as we think of it.

The cavalry morale in effect either fails because it can't carry out its orders, or the horsemen become fatigued and withdraw.

It seems like new mechanisms are needed to cover this particular "non-melee" in the game.

I hope the team will apply some thought to this particular facet of this period.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
7thGalaxy
Reactions:

Post by 7thGalaxy »

Or even morale too high - 'to the guns!'

I think you're spot on about the unlikelyhood of an entire regiment of cavalry throwing itself against the square. Maybe there should be some sort of check as they charge - if the cavalry's morale & training are high enough, and the tiredness low enough, compared to the square, there could be a chance that the charge is forced home and the square ridden to red ruin.
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Hey Little Powell.

Thanks for answering my cavalry questions.

Have one more for you.

Will leaders have more of an effect on the performance of troops in their command radius than in the civil war games? Or will it be about the same?

Was thinking of Waterloo, where Wellington often rode to units around the battlefield that were in the thick of the action, while Napoleon sat behind the lines, leaving subordinates like Ney and others to make tactical decisions.

Really looking forward to this game.

Regards, CJ.