Refusing Lines

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Refusing Lines

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Will we be able to refuse our lines?
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
BOSTON
Reactions:

Re:Refusing Lines

Post by BOSTON »

Do you mean retreat?
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Farm Boy
Reactions:

Post by Farm Boy »

Refuse the Line - To maneuver a regiment or larger to cause the front to change direction by 90 degrees.

Farm Boy

"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel"
- Jefferson Davis inaugural speech on February 16, 1861
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

If you are the brigade commander, you can certainly move a regiment to cover a threatened flank.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Another option a regimental commander had to refuse his flank was to "about face" the rear rank and then have the rear rank left or right wheel until it was 90 degrees with the front rank.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Would you be refusing the line while engaged? or would it be a movement before eng agement? Not knowing the terminology, I've used the maneuver in different degrees (45 left, 90, 45 right, ect.) to bring more of my regiment to to where it could be more effective when engaged and if necessary then advance/fall back.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
No Smoking Demoking
Reactions:

Post by No Smoking Demoking »

You can refuse the line either when or prior to being engaged. A good example would be from the movie Gettysburg during the Little Round Top Scene when Joshua Chamberlain orders his regiment to "refuse the line," which I guess is why our Joshua l.Chamberlain asked about it:lol: (and interestingly I'm listening to the soundtrack from that part of it now:silly: ).
Farm Boy
Reactions:

Post by Farm Boy »

-------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

Refuse The Line

--------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x-------------------------------------x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x
x_____________________x

In simplest terms you take part of your line and manuever/bend it around at a certain degrees/angle to make another front to cover your flanks.... Alot depends on how complex this manuever will be.. Terrain etc etc.. You lengthen your line by placing everyman around a yard apart or so instead of elbow to elbow... On a refuse the line to the left flank the person on the right end of the line stands still and everyone starts shifting to the left to get the proper distance.. Then however many you men you choose to will move like a door/wheel,etc to the degrees/angle you want.. Usually 90 degrees for flank protection but can do any degrees. This as been done in the middle of battle, this is what Joshua Chamberlain Order'd his 20th Maine to do while fighting on Little Round Top.

Farm Boy

"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel"
- Jefferson Davis inaugural speech on February 16, 1861
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Is "refusing lines" a command in the game GB? For I don't think it was in TC2M. The positioning of refusing lines had to done manually in previous game. If nothing has changed from TC2M to GB about refusing lines, IMO it is then a mute point, nonetheless, an interesting maneuver.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

It would only work if the soldiers could fire not in the direction that the regiment was wheeled. If that would be an exstensive work for programming as well, so I doubt that it has happened. However, you could ask norb.
Hancock the Superb