Optimised?

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Harag
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Harag »

Hi

Really looking forward to Waterloo and love the work you guy have done on Gettysburg I do have a couple of questions...

1. With the new power of todays PCs will the new engine be upgraded to use full 64bit and 4+ core PCs ? I notice with Gettysburg that I only get 10-15 fps and I have a very decent pc now.

2. After waterloo - will the gettysburg engine be updated to use 64bit / 4+ core machines?

3. ok, here goes - any sort of eta on waterloo? Q1 2015 ? Q2 ?

Thanks.
Jim
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Jim »

We are trying various flavors of deliberate multi-threading. No particular gains of significance so far. GB already uses available cores.

The GB game engine is not being worked on. We are spending all of our limited time on Waterloo and efforts beyond release of Waterloo will be on further improvements to that generation of game engine.

When its done. We are hard at it now and making some nice progress.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

I note that no further work will be done by NSD on the current SOW GB engine once Waterloo is released. That is only to be expected. Something about quarts and pint pots.

However, I don't think SOW GB will lie down quietly by any means.

Could the current restrictions on SOW GB not be relaxed and the program details released so modders can then have a field day on it ?

-Maps to suit all the OOB's currently available perhaps.
-Hard programmed areas be available for modding to more flexible form.
-That wretched Sandbox AI to stop behaving like a 'Modern Major General" and learn how to control a unit larger than a Division.
-Perhaps even a new Civil War battle or two.

I would like to see the ability in addition to break off all the Nap Mods into a 'separate' game or games. It just got far too complicated for me with that plethora of mods to juggle. TC2M could do always this from the outset with 'Rebels and Redcoats' and 'Horse and Musket' set up as discrete programs. It used to authenticate with the CD in the drive. So simple !!

Will SOW GB still be subject in future to all of the authentication regime or will it be released to Public Domain. With all the updates and patches involved it always seemed to be getting into a mess ......... if one judges from the number of forum posts on the subject and bemused would-be first time users. I guess though this is a decision for the distributor and when he decides the game has no further value to him.

Be assured though, I will still be in the queue for Waterloo when it finally turns up.

Geoff Laver

Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Saddletank »

I think you'd be looking at several years into the future before (if) SoW:GBs engine was made public domain. NSD needs to make money from sales until sales effectively dry up. I imagine that the release of SoW:WL will bring in new customers to the franchise and this will actually put a spike back into sales of GB.

After WL is released we don't know what will be next. NSD isn't a big team and can't do several projects at once. They could focus on Napoleonic add ons (there are some magnificent battles out there to do, ones that would get more Nap fans involved - Austerlitz, Borodino, Leipzig... a large and very fruitful orchard of cherry trees to be picked from).

Or they could take the WL engine and make an ACW game from it, adding in the scenario editor, perhaps with a campaign. That too would be amazing.

There are other interesting wars from history that would be suitable for the SoW style of game to cover but the key thing is sales - how many people would buy an American war of Independence game, or a Severn Years War game?

Whatever happens after Waterloo I think some very cool and exciting things will happen with NSD products.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jubal Early
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Jubal Early »

Hi

1. With the new power of todays PCs will the new engine be upgraded to use full 64bit and 4+ core PCs ? I notice with Gettysburg that I only get 10-15 fps and I have a very decent pc now.

Thanks.
I have a very powerful new PC but still get terrible performance from Gettysburg.

Is Waterloo 64 bit ?

Will there be a demo ? Im really looking forward to it but if it runs like Gettysburg id think twice. Love these games but hate the low FPS.
voltigeur
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by voltigeur »

I have a reasonably new pc and GB runs extremely well. What are your pc stats?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Saddletank »

I have a middling PC that's over 4 years old and never been upgraded. Gettysburg runs very well and looks great (I've had people compliment me on the screenshots).

To say a performance is "terrible" is pretty strong but also subjective. Like Voltigeur I'm interested to know what your PC is like, what framerates you get and what a screenshot looks like.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Destraex
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Destraex »

i5-3570k 3.4ghz
6gig ram
GTX670 (I have two I can put in SLI)

Here is my PC running the gettysburg demo with all settings maxed out.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Optimised?

Post by Gunfreak »

I to have verry low fps, lkke 5-13fps on big battles and i have

i7 3774k
16gig ram
And gtx780oc sli.
Jubal Early
Reactions:

Re: Optimised?

Post by Jubal Early »

I previously had a Acer Predator Quad core gaming computer and got very low fps on Gettysburg, all other games maxed.

At work but off the top of my head my new desktop is

Alienware x51 gaming pc
3.4 Gz windows 8.1 Quad core
AMD x9 270
8 GB Ram

Running all the total war games including Attila on ultra graphics thousands of troops looks incredible. Pickets charge and other scenarios 4-12 fps Racing sims again advanced settings well over 60fps so SOW must be single core.

Those screens look great are you guys enhancing the graphics ?i know you can change the file some way. Makes no difference if I raise or lower the draw distance or number of trees still get low fps but be a bottleneck or something like that every other game runs perfectly. Im really looking forward to Waterloo so hope it runs better.