Can't control troops or take control in multiplayer game.

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
DTinNC
Reactions:

Can't control troops or take control in multiplayer game.

Post by DTinNC »

I tried to play an MP game with both the GCM mods on AND off. Both led to the same outcome.

1. Two player game.
2. Sandbox mode.
3. Both wanted to be on the same side.
4. I selected Meade (ARMY)
5. Friend selected (some uniongeneral) (CORP)
6. Game started
7. Friend stuck with 19th Indiana regiment. Every. Single. Time.

I tried taking charge/detaching/reattaching. No luck. We repeated the above 10-15 times with different selections.

I also tried my friend as Meade and myself as corp, and I got stuck with the regiment. Every. Single. Time. He got Meade when he selected Army, though, but my Corp commander was not Wainright, it was [some regiment].

So:

How do I start an MP game (with or without GCM) where my friend and I can both be Union AND each control a brigade or two, but NOT get stuck with a regiment and ONLY a regiment?

Thanks,
Last edited by DTinNC on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Can't control troops or take control in multiplayer game.

Post by con20or »

What size battle are you picking?
DTinNC
Reactions:

Post by DTinNC »

I tried these maps and every permutation of options I could think of:

Map: Devils Den (GCM)
Map: Devils Den (Stock)
Map: Antietam

Orders of Battle;
Gettysburg Day 2
Antietam

Size:

Corp vs. Corp primarily. Army vs. Army had too many troops.

Hope this helps.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Hmmm, i thought you might be picking too small a battle size for corps command by accident but it might not be that. If you are picking corps V corps then army commander (meade) is kind of redundant if one of you is playing as the corps commander. Try corps v corps with one of you playing the corps comamnder, and one as the divisional general - do not select an army commander at all, you dont need one in corps v corps.
DTinNC
Reactions:

Post by DTinNC »

If I don't pick Meade from the Order of Battle, then the AI assumes command of Meade, who in turn assumes control of both Corp commanders and both I and my friend are stuck with mutual control of the 19th Indiana.

I have tried different orders of battle where there were just a corp commander, but the result was the same : I command the Corp, and my friend, the 19th Indiana.

If there is someone out there that has got a co-operative game to work, I would love to know what parameters they used.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Definitely something funny here - because if you pick a corps v corps battle and you select the corps commander, Meade should have no command over your troops. There should only be one corps in the battle.

Two things we need to check.

1. Does it give any errors in your sowgb.lob file? It's located in your, 'Work' folder.

2. Also - can you post a picture of the game options screen where you are specifying the game parameters?
Last edited by con20or on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The problem is that both players are likely using the same registration number. MP requires separate purchases of the game by each player.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
DTinNC
Reactions:

Post by DTinNC »

First, thank you for you help.

Second, Marching on Georgia is spot on. I loaded my copy of my game onto two machines that I own. I used the same registration number for both. After closer reading of the license, I see that is not permitted, so I've corrected that. In the mean time, my friend will buy his own copy for his own machine and that should address the issue.

Thanks for your help and explanations.