New Forum

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:New Forum

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah everything looks normal to me.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Logged on today and it is okay again.

This is curious Norb? Do you want any suggestions?
Hancock the Superb
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Everything looks good, I like the new layout of the front page!!
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Great new front page :)
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Just to let everyone know, the glass is half empty, not half full for me. I believe the front page is an improvement, but could be better.

My suggestions:
Have one picture that is an amazing screenshot and put War 3DII - Gettysburg across the top.

Skip the courier idea - that is in game, not for a website. Just put Updates and News.
Remember to keep the updates UPDATED. Any minor thing, for example - all the sprites are finished, map 3 is free of bugs, and write a short article - 2 to 3 paragraphs, and it'll keep us users happy.

Underneath this all, have a cycle of screenies that go through like a slide projector - there is a band of pictures, and every 5 seconds, the next in line shows up big in the middle.

At the very bottom, include older information, and buisness information, such as - Testers are working hard on the SandBox Mode, NSD recieves Civil War Gamers "Watch out for this" Award, etc.

Finally, if this is amazingly possible, have the website recognize if someone has gone to the website before, and if not, it plays a short section of the preview film in full screen mode, then fades to the main page.

I believe that a good front design will attract more visitors, and if you can get links to other places, such as gamer sites and Civil War magazines and stuff, then when someone googles Civil War, or Top Rated War Games, your site is on the list near the top.

I doubt much of this will ever happen, but that is my 2 cents worth of website design and company managment. Remember, I still go to school, I'm not a worker.
Hancock the Superb
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Thanks guys, just seeing what I can do with the tools I have. I didn't like the big white news area, so I wanted to see if I could change that. Just trying to make it a little better. Also thought we needed a pict on the front page, so I did that as well and brought back the latest posts. Maybe they will be faster with the new forum, if not I can remove them again.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

It seems to be moving at the same speed for me. The latest post does not seem to slow it down at all.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

i like the changes on the homepage, i check the latest posts the most so this is very convenient for me. having at least a small screenie on the front is necessary, i believe. looking good, nice improvements!

the only thing i'd add is perhaps more advertising to the main game site, where the video lives. I know there's a link from the nav bar but maybe we should give it more presence right on the homepage. of course, if we do that, we might want to edit that site with at least some updates from this year :P
this space for rent
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Louie Raider wrote:
if we do that, we might want to edit that site with at least some updates from this year :P
I agree. I think the good folks deserve maybe a new screen shot or two. :)

Maybe a view taken from LRT facing Devils Den. It's a magnificent view... :)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Well that's up to you guys now :) You know I always try to make less work for myself and stick it in your hands.

So....

There is an NSDTeam/screenshot/FrontPage folder on the web server. Add or remove screenshots from there to show up on the front page.