New Years Update

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
Little Powell
Reactions:

New Years Update

Post by Little Powell »

[article=link]193[/article]
rclark14
Reactions:

Re: New Years Update

Post by rclark14 »

neat, I would love a Shiloh or Chickamauga even better- I love the Rebel flags in this game- anyways, take care and good luck- I am sure I will end up getting Waterloo game- take care :lol:
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Your squares look great, and it looks like you've got a sprite carrying the unit flag too instead of it floating above the unit centre which is cool.

Can you squares move? Does the AI form them, or attempt to form them on its own initiative when enemy cavalry threatens?

One thing I do think looks odd is how far apart your individual sprites are placed - it makes your formations look somehow too 'flimsy'. And have you plans to put the French and German states into three ranks?

The scenery and colour palette of the overall game is look superb.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The French and Prussian square formations have 3 ranks as they should.

The AI does form squares on its own and there is still tuning of the AI in that area going on. I don't think that the squares can move as squares.

The sprites are representing multiple actual soldiers. If we packed the sprites to drill book spacing then the unit frontage would be seriously too small.

The map team has taken this to a new level in my entirely biased opinion.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Thanks for your reply. Can you have the French and Prussians in 3-deep lines while in line?

That follows on to this I suspect...
The sprites are representing multiple actual soldiers. If we packed the sprites to drill book spacing then the unit frontage would be seriously too small.
This is a decades-old miniatures wargaming problem of ground scale vs figure scale that I'm sure many on the dev team are familiar with.

If you have a ground scale that isn't the same as your figure scale the only correct solution is to know what the frontage of a unit of X hundred men was when formed in line and then fill that frontage with sprites until the sprites cover the correct frontage. You then add additional sprites (or miniatures castings depending on how you play your wargames) to add extra ranks.

Your sprite/figure ratio is thus defined for you and you get units occupying the proper space on the battlefield. It would be a shame if this new upgraded version of SoW continued to make shortcuts in realism like so many predecessors have done in this aspect.

Sorry if I sound like I'm moaning, its just that this kind of facet of gaming is important to me and as far as I see it from my perspective, its easily fixable.
captain_george
Reactions:

New Years Update

Post by captain_george »

A Shiloh would be soooooooooooooooooo nice cause right now everything thats not a mod or an edited OOB is eastern.
But the pressing question is, WHEN IS THIS GONNA BE RELEASED!!! im extremely excited now after looking at these screenshots!
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Goodness, I can't wait for this game.

Is there a tentative release date or is it 'When it's done'?
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The tentative release date so we've been told will be sometime around the 200th anniversary of Waterloo which is June 18th this year.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

That would be pretty cool.

I hadn't actually realised that it would be the 200th this year. Good timing. Also not too far in the future. :D
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982