Terrain at Gettysburg vs. Current Battlefield

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
WarEagle
Reactions:

Terrain at Gettysburg vs. Current Battlefield

Post by WarEagle »

Team:

I have visited Gettysburg a couple times, but I am particularly looking forward to going back after spending so much time fighting over the Devil's Den map. How well does the current landscape reflect the map in the game? For instance, I am very much looking forward to seeing those two rock walls that outline the Wheatfield as well some of the fence lines that run along Devil's Den. I'm tempted to take screenshots and bring them with me on an iPad, but wanted to throw the topic out to the experts and get your take...! This is not to say that I am not well confident that it is most likely extremely similar....I just wanted to get others experiences with the notion! :)

Cheers,

Matt
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Terrain at Gettysburg vs. Current Battlefield

Post by Little Powell »

The map was designed using primarily the Warren map as a reference, which was created in 1888, and reflected the terrain (right down to the crops) during the time of the battle.

Most of the fence lines that existed during the battle are there today (reconstructed of course). As far as the stone walls, most of those exist as well, including the rock walls at the wheat field. If my memory serves me right, you may have to look hard for them though because they are basically small piles of rocks, buried beneath underbrush now.

If you have the time, head over the the East Cavalry Field battlefield. It's so close to the game, it's almost scary because that area has been practically untouched since the battle.

I remember the first time I toured Gettysburg after the maps were completed.. I was pretty amazed at how close we got them.. I thought "I'm in our game!".. :)

Have a great trip.
sgtredleg
Reactions:

Post by sgtredleg »

Just an aside: In the early releases of ( SOW Gettysburg I remember seeing the cannon shot hole in the barn at the Trostle farm, just as it is today. But I don't see it in the current release. Was it just forgotten?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Just an aside: In the early releases of ( SOW Gettysburg I remember seeing the cannon shot hole in the barn at the Trostle farm, just as it is today. But I don't see it in the current release. Was it just forgotten?
I don't remember the cannon hole ever being on the barn, unless it was very early beta (before I joined the team).. It could have just been something Eric was experimenting with.

The maps are of the appearance just before the battle began, so there shouldn't be a canon hole.
Last edited by Little Powell on Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.