Mini campaign system?

Questions on the new sandbox campaign for Waterloo can go here.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Mini campaign system?

Post by con20or »

This game hasn't been released yet :)
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

hope they add mp to it though for next game
Norb is our man. If he can't do it, no one can :silly:
jebstuart
Reactions:

Post by jebstuart »

after reading a second time i have to say this sounds like best ever, full real time campaign map perfect, better than turn based. I guess i will have to buy waterloo know I was not going to do so before, I love sow but really only like civil war and revolutionary war,but know i must buy thanks.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen days before Gettysburg 

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to heaven, found he had outflanked them and was already there". Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

"No way Sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

From what i understand, you can go in and out of battles, and have sevral going on at once?

Does that mean if i send out a division and it contacts the enemy, it can try and hold out while I send more troops to the battle via the campaign map?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Does that mean if i send out a division and it contacts the enemy, it can try and hold out while I send more troops to the battle via the campaign map?
I am also waiting on an answer to that question!

If this is true, will the Campaign-Map be (Moddable \ Changeable), and how are the maps that are associated with the Campaign-Map strung-together?

Thanks,

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri May 22, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

In-battle reinforcements are not working for the first release. But that feature is high on the list of improvements.

Don't know about modding the campaign map. Certainly not before the SDK comes out, we will have to document what works and what does not.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

In-battle reinforcements are not working for the first release. But that feature is high on the list of improvements.
Understandable, getting a solid release comes first!
Don't know about modding the campaign map. Certainly not before the SDK comes out, we will have to document what works and what does not.
-Jim
I would have thought that it would have to be moddable unless it was Hard-Coded , but why would it be?.....”the old wait and see”

Question – So are the maps that are associated with the Campaign-Map linked-together ?

I mean have NSD found a way of playing on different maps without starting another game, or am I reading this wrong?

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

As Jim says, in-battle reinforcements aren't in the current version. But you can manouver troops while battles are going on if you switch back to the campaign map and have fought your battle for enough time. You can send more troops around to the rear of the battle on the campaign map to cut off the enemys line of retreat if you think you will win, or have them ready to join with the other troops at your rear if you think you're going to lose.

On your map question - when you start a battle from the campaign map, it brings you to the battle map. When you leave the battlemap, it brings you back to the campaign map. Is that what you are asking?
Last edited by con20or on Fri May 22, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reactions:

Post by Guest »

you can have multiple battles ongoing and switch between them as you like.
This is interesting and technically challenging, I guess.

Say I'm fighting as French and just took the win at Quatre-Bras, can I move my troops while Ligny's ongoing in order to cut-off Prussian's retreat lines (or, in a foreseeable future, marching to the sound of gun in Napoleon's support)?

How do you plan to handle the simultaneous update of Campaign AI and (potentially several) Battle AI (plus graphics)?

I see no way to implement it (at acceptable frame rates at least) but BAI LOD and multithreading.

Could you exhibit some more details about your approach, please?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 22, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

The short answer is yes. It is difficult to explain but i will try my best. It is very clear when you see it in action. Hopefully one of the later videos can showcase it.

Basically it all comes down to time.

1. Say Army A meets Army B at 10:00, battle starts.
2. Army C is marching on a different road.
3. You fight for an hour between A & B, save and return to the campaign map. You now have an hour of campaign time to ffwd to 11.00 and Army C can move further down the road.
4. Army C now meets Army D at 11.00, and another battle begins. You now have two battles in your battle list.
5. You return to AvB on the battle map and fight it all the way through to 12.00until one of you wins.
6. BUT you will not yet be able to ffwd the campaign map time past the CvD 11.00 battle time until you have advanced that battle too.
7. Say you now advance the CvD battle one hour to 12.00, then order a victorious Army A on the campaign map to move to the rear of Army D to cut off their retreat - i.e. your QB, Ligny question.
8. Finish the CvD battle, which takes you to 14.00, Army A has 2 hours movement on the campaign map built up, moves into position while Army CvD are still locked in battle and can cut off the retreating Army D.

It all works very well, doesn't influence performance, means you aren't flooded with battles, can concentrate on one battle at a time but can still have armies manouvering in the background once it is unpaused.

Clear as mud?
Last edited by con20or on Fri May 22, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.